Thread: Antibacterial soap hazardous to our health?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Antibacterial soap hazardous to our health?

As Arte Johnson said on 'Laugh In'....'Verrry int-er-esting!' Article is pretty long, though. Safety of Antibacterial Soap Debated
    May 29, 2008 -- Millions of Americans use antibacterial soaps and household cleaners every day, believing that their germ-killing ability will keep them and their families healthier.
    But could these same chemicals that fight germs also be hazardous to your health?
    That's a question being studied by a group of researchers at the University of California, Davis. In three separate studies, the researchers showed that the chemicals -- triclosan and triclocarban -- have potential to affect sex hormones and interfere with the nervous system.
    They also may become suspects in the search for causes of autism.
    Dan Chang, PhD, a professor of environmental engineering at U.C. Davis and one of the researchers involved, says he doesn't want to cause a panic, but "the public should be aware of some of the concerns."
    While Chang and the other researchers involved in the studies admit that it's too early to know whether the chemicals pose a serious health risk, it's already been shown that the cleaners might not work any better than regular soap and water -- and may contribute to the rise of resistant bacteria. So, they ask, why take the risk?
    In October, the researchers will pose that question when they meet with representatives of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the CDC, and some of the product manufacturers to talk about what they view as a potential public health problem.
    The stakes are high for the manufacturers: Antibacterial products account for about $1 billion in sales annually. Triclosan is found in 76% of all liquid soap sold in stores and is also added to toothpaste, mouthwash, cosmetics, fabrics, and plastic kitchenware. Triclocarban is a common additive in antibacterial bar soap and deodorant.
    "These compounds should be voluntarily removed by consumer product manufacturers," Chang tells WebMD, or at least, consumers should "be provided precautionary information regarding their use."
    Industry Reaction

Brian Sansoni, spokesman for the Soap and Detergent Association, an organization headquartered in Washington D.C. that represents manufacturers of all kinds of cleaning products, says studies have shown the products are safe.
    "They have been reviewed and analyzed and studied by scientists and government agencies for decades," Sansoni says. "We're disappointed at some of the alarmist conclusions made by the authors."
    Sansoni confirms that a representative of the association plans to meet with U.C. Davis researchers. But he says their findings aren't too worrisome.
    "Consumers can continue to safely use antibacterial soap and hygiene products with confidence," he says.
    The Government's Perspective

Developed in the 1950s and 1960s, triclocarban and triclosan were first used mainly as antiseptic agents in hospitals. Sales of consumer antibacterial products took off in the early 1990s, backed by multimillion-dollar ad campaigns for popular soap. By 2004, manufacturers were introducing hundreds of new antibacterial products every year.

IMHO, the antibacterial 'everything' is overkill, and we're removing beneficial bacteria as well. And we wonder why MRSA has run rampant?

Thoughts or comments, anyone?

Re: Antibacterial soap hazardous to our health?

MRSA is not as rampant over here in Western Australia like it is back in the USA. Before I was even allowed to start orientation I had to have nasal and fingernail cultures for MRSA. Luckily I was negative. In every patient room, in the halls, at the nurse's station, and in our small kitchens you will find a bottle of antibacterial hand gel. My main problem with the gels has to do with the way they dry my hands out. I know many nurses that have developed a sensitivity to the hand gels as well. We are trying to get a moisturizing antibacterial hand gel but so far no luck. I am actually keeping a tube of Avon Naturals Antibacterial Sea Hand Gel with me at all times at work. This seems to cut down on dry painful skin caused by the other hand gels.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Antibacterial soap hazardous to our health?

The hand gels are a bit (!) drying. And all the hand washing? My hands get chapped, and the triclosan (IMHO) makes it worse.