Thread: Need assistance in becoming a Nurse

Need assistance in becoming a Nurse

Hello. I was looking for some info & assistance on becoming a nurse.

My background has mostly been in management for my entire career. The job market in Ohio has pretty much dried up with good paying jobs.

A friend suggested that I look into a career as a nurse or something in healthcare. I am a male,38 years old.

The problem that I see, unless I can't find good info is this. I need to earn a living while I attend school. 6 or 7 dollars an hour just won't do it. I have heard there are programs out there that I can get into that will pay while I am in school. There might be some type of agreement where I have to work for them for a specified amount of time. I am ok with that.

Can anyone advise me the best way to get into this field without going broke in the process ?

Thanks,
    Tim

Re: Need assistance in becoming a Nurse

Sounds like U need to work and go to school at the same time. Some programs have weekend and evening classes. U could take as many classes as you can in a Distance learning program, might be able to test out of some nursing classes. Maybe you could get an LPN first, it will take you a shorter period of time, then you could get a good paying job as one and continue on for your RN. Thats what I did.
    Unless you have a ton of money upfront to pay for your education most people have to take out loans to finance it. I would like to go on for my MSN and wonder if the debt I will have to incur will be worth it. Let me know what you figure out. Byh the way what state are in in?

Becoming an LPN is a good idea. Then work every weekend 12's and maybe one day a week. And take advantage of the hospitals education benefit. Many will pay for almost all of your RN program for a commitment of a year or two post graduation.. I didn't do that as I didn't want to be tied to anyone.. Glad I didn't . Student loans have a very low interest rate right now and you have ten years to repay. Might be worth it to go that way too.. Just have to research it. Check with you local hospital and college.

WR,,, three commas for Becca.

At the hospital that I work in I saw a position posted for nursing students to work part time and get paid full time hours. I have heard of other hospitals offering this kind of program. Generally there is a contract that requires you to work between 1 and 3 years after graduation. (I dont know if the students that take this offer would be eligible for the education grant / sign on bonus offered to full time staff.) Call around, nurse recruiters are almost always happy to talk to potential staff, and some of the offers arent widely known. When I graduated there was an education grant offered to 10 new grads, since not many people knew about it, I was lucky enough to get it. 3 year contract but I was able to pay off a lot of bills with it!

Good luck!