Thread: Few questions from a new student

Few questions from a new student

Hello,

I am new here and this is my first post. I start my pre-req's 06/13/05! I'm excited to be taking the first steps toward nursing school (this is a lifelong dream).
    I have a few questions.....
    * After pre-req's I am going to apply to nursing school. I am having a hard time deciding between 2 schools. The first is a hospital that offers a 2 year diploma program. The second is a community college that offers a 2 year ADN program. The big difference for me will be a further drive and a few extra classes (english, algebra). Cost is not an issue as I qualify for financial aid. Will it be worth an extra drive to achieve my ADN in lieu of a diploma?

* I am very interested in working in labor/delivery in a hospital. This is my main reason for entering nursing school. I feel that is where I belong. It seems everyone I tell this to says, "That is what every nurse wants to do, good luck getting a job" Is this true or am I being falsely discouraged? How long after school would I be able to obtain this position? Is there a job that I could obtain after school that would offer good experience to achieve this goal?

Thank you everyone!

Cheri, Future Nurse

Re: Few questions from a new student

Hello Cheri,

Last year, 11,000 qualified BSN students and countless qualified ADNs, were turned away because of long waiting lists and not enough nursing slots.

Being selective about what school you go to is dangerous these days.

Apply to all the schools in your area, find out what the waiting lists are. When you graduate, you'll make the same whether you have a diploma, ADN or BSN.

Labor/Delivery is a happy place in general, nurses tend to stay there a very long time. Getting your foot in the door is difficult for a new grad. I wouldn't worry about that now. There are always ways to work into L/D.

Get your nursing license first and a little experience, then worry about getting into L/D. The shortage is getting worse, so even L/D may have a few openings on nights or some other unpopular shift.

Wish you luck!

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

I always thought L/D was the place no one wanted. I see ads for L/D all the time.

I'd beg to differ based on nurses I've talk to and ongoing research I do on the Nursing Shortage.

Check hospital nursing vacancy lists and you'll find they've consistently got lower needs for labor/delivery than the other departments.

As the shortage gets worse, you'll inevitably find needs in every department.

Andrew Lopez, RN

I agree that getting into a school can be competitive. I am going to apply to both schools near me. It does not seem that the schools in my area are as competative as some (I am in western PA).
    There is about a 1 year wait to get into the diploma program the hospital offers. I would use the year to complete pre-req's and co-req's. I believe that the Communtiy College (ADN program) does not have a waiting list hoewever, they select the students with top academic performance. The diploma program has pre-enterance testing and the CC does not. I would be happy to get into either.

I am not going to worry any longer about getting a position in L/D. If I have to work in another area of nursing until I can achieve my goal than I will. I am willing to do whatever it takes. I know this is what I am suppose to do. This is all I can think about lately. I even had a dream last night that I was working in a hospital and I was coaching a mother through labor. I am obsessed with becoming a nurse! I feel anxious and excited about starting school.

Thanks for the response!

Hello Cheri,

I hope you don't have to wait too long to get into a program. It sounds like your heart is definitely in the right place.

I would like you to go in with your eyes fully opened. There is a dark side to nursing that you rarely hear about from nurses, guidance counselors or nursing school admission offices.

Do yourself a favor and read:

Do Nurses Still Eat Their Young?
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/young

Nurses' Views of The Nursing Profession:"
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/views

Nursing Malpractice Case Studies
    http://www.nursingcasestudy.com

I'm not trying to discourage you, I am trying to make you an informed consumer.

If you know what to expect beforehand, it will be easier for you to handle a few of the challenges you'll encounter on the way to becoming a nurse.

Andrew Lopez, RN

Andrew,

Thank you for the links. I found your article interesting. I would like to know....If you could go back, would you have gone to nursing school?

Cheri

Happy to help Cheri.

Yep, I'd still go into it. I dated several nurses before I decided to become one. Had a very good idea of what I was getting into. Several of them did try to talk me out of it.

Once I started getting patient contact in the hospital as a lab tech, I caught the bug.

Andrew Lopez, RN

Member Extraordinaire

good luck on your nursing school applications. Like you've been told apply everywhere in your area that has a program.

I work L&D. There are jobs to be had in L&D but they are not nearly as plentiful as med/surg jobs. It's been about 2 years since we hired a new grad and the one before that was 2 years before. We'll probably have an opening in another 2 years after somebody retires. I've been at the same (small) hospital since 1992. There are 8 nurses on my unit with more senority and 8 with less. Once people come to L&D here they either die, move or retire they don't go to other units.