Thread: California Nursing Schools

California Nursing Schools

I was wondering if anyone could share their input about various Nursing Schools in California. I am taking my pre Nursing coarses currently and will be applying to schools for acceptance into RN programs this fall. I am looking to get an RN degree but it appears that the acceptance rates at Community Colleges in my area (sacramento) are extremely low. 10%. I already have a B.S. degree in Applied Science but I am going to be returning to work after 10 years of work in financial services, so I really don't have the tiem or resources to return for the B.S.N. Degree.

Thanks

Re: California Nursing Schools

Since you already have a bachelors, why not take your prerequisites and then apply to the accelerated programs to get a second bachelors? Or, do the prerequisites and then apply to a masters program for a nurse practitioner. Some masters programs in nursing do not demand you have an RN in order to get your masters. But, the prerequisites are mandatory. As far as California schools go, I have an overall 3.4 with a 3.2 prerequisite GPA and I didn't get in to any of the California schools. I am moving to NYC for nursing school in a month. I can't believe it. Anyhow, just beware that the schools in California are very sought after, making it twice as difficult to get it.

Re: California Nursing Schools

Yes, CA nursing schools for some reasons are extremely competitive. I would recommend you to go apply at a nursing school in an area where there is less people (Fresno?) if your GPA is not outstanding in addition to your schools in Sacramento. Most schools have a policy to accept a percentage of students via random drawings and the rest based on academics. An example how competitive it is here in San Jose, CA, I have a friend who's GPA is 3.8 and didn't get in because all 30 students accepted got a GPA of 4.0.