Thread: University of Phoenix: MSNursing program?

University of Phoenix: MSNursing program?

Ever heard of this?
    I was browsing the University of Phoenix Master's in Nursing program and it peeked my interest.

It is essentially a dual-degree program where you get an MSN plus an MBA! Wow, talk about making yourself marketable!

I spoke with a rep and they said it will take 3 years if you're employed full time but I want to be able to do it in 2 years if possible. No GRE's needed and it's all done on-line.

Anybody have experience with this or know anyone who does? I want to talk to YOU!!!

Re: University of Phoenix: MSNursing program?

NOBODY has experience with this?

I don't have experience with their MSN program, but I do with the MAED-Curriculum and Instruction. I like their online programs and have learned alot. I think it is possible for you to finish your degree in 2 years. They usually try to get you to take one course at a time which will last approximately 6 weeks for 3cr, but you can take more than one at a time to speed up the process. I am going back to school for my ADN, but I will probably complete my BSN with UOPX since I already have a BA. For me personally, I would want more face to face interaction if I were going for my MSN. I would want to be as well prepared as possible, especially when it pertains to clinicals. Good luck with your schooling. I hope you find the program that works best for you.

I have been checking out their programs also, but I can never find out how much they cost.

Go to: www.onlinemaed.com

It lists all their programs from BA to MSN along with tuition and fees.

I know the program is expensive. Have to wonder about the clinical end of it. I have not been too impressed with the grads. MBA/MSN sounds like a lot of work. If I were to go on for my MSN I would prefer to attend a University that is associated with a major teaching hospital to get the best clinical experience that money could buy. Unfortunatly I have kids at home and cannot afford child care so I can do something like that. Plus the University is about a good hour from my home.

this school is for working adults you go to class one night a week and in the class setting your put into a group and everyone in the group is given a part of the assignment to do, like one will do research while the other one is doing the writing etc. for nursing you are expected to be already working in your profession so you would be practicing on your own pts. I am not sure how the on line nursing degree works. there really isn't a clinical course. My problem in this school is that if you get stuck in a class with mouthy people you could get lost and never learn or experience everything. My brother works for them

Thanks for the replies.

It's kinda weird, this program. There are no clinicals in the traditional sense as we know it. It's all 100% online and it's all practicum. And no GRE's needed or taken.
    Classes are 6 weeks long.

I talked to a rep and he broke it down like this:
    1. Application $110
    2. Tuition $430/credit hour (unit)
    3. Books $70/course (approx. 23 courses so = $1,610)
    4. Grad fee $55 :rolleyes:

Financial aid = $18,500/year if eligible.
    Total cost per year = approx. $10,750

I don't know. I'm leaning towards doing it. Mainly because I've been a nurse for 6 years now and I need a new challenge and the open doors an MSN will provide.

Those interested can call this number: 1-800-366-9699

**I'm not affiliated with University of Phoenix in any way.***