Thread: Thinking of Starting Nursing School...Need Advice

Thinking of Starting Nursing School...Need Advice

Hi Everyone,

Im in Houston Texas and Im thinking of starting HCC RN program, part time since I work full time doing the day and have an 8 mth old. I really really want to do this but Im also a little scared. I have their curriculum here and I wanted to know are there LOADS of labs involved?? I also see things like this listed - Clinical Nursing: Children, Clinical Nursing: Adult 1, and Clinical Nursing: Mental Health when it says Clinical Nursing does this mean you are working under an instrustor in a hospital? Also since I have a AA in Tourism Management I did not do much sciences, how bad is A&P, Microbiology, if you had not done much sciences...Thanks in advance for your advice.

Re: Thinking of Starting Nursing School...Need Advice

Quote Originally Posted by rencuellar View Post
    ...when it says Clinical Nursing does this mean you are working under an instrustor in a hospital?
    Yes it does.

I am not familiar with the program but wanted to give you some advice.
    Talk to a counselor from the school offering the program about the work load, etc. Good luck!
    Christina, RN in TX

Well I can tell you this it can be done. I am a mom of 3 and I go to nursing school on a part time basis (according to my school that is), but I don't work at all (out of the home that is). I found it to be too hard to juggle all three things so I get financial aid and student loans to cover the cost of school and help with some bills. The best thing I can tell you about nursing school is to expect to spend quite some time studying. On average I spend about 20 hours a week studying and doing home work, after having gone to school and clinicals. All clinicals are done under the supervision of an instructor, no matter where you are because the school is resposible for you. So don't worry about that.Clinicals are great fun. A&P and micro...well you know they aren't a cake walk because they both have a lot of information that you must learn but if the teacher who teaches them is fun or makes the courses interesting then that will make it that much better. What I can say is that nursing school is not easy by any means and there have been days when I feel like pulling my hair out and even times that I thought I would never make it through but overall the experience has been great. Good luck!

Thumbs up Re: Thinking of Starting Nursing School...Need Advice

You Can Do It. I Attend San Jac. I Tried Hcc, But There Is An Nurses Entrances Exam For The Lvn..i Didn't Have Time For All Of That, Because If You Do Not Pass The Test No Entry. I Just Finished Nutrition. I Will Start A@p, 1/16. In The Fall I Will Enter Into The Lvn Program, There After Transition To Rn.

All I Can Say It Is Better To Get Your Info. From The Horse's Mouth, Not Through Hear Say. Don't Let What You Don't Understand For As The Classes That You Were Speaking Of Scare You, I Thought The Samething Before I Took Nutrition, Everyone Else Said It Is Hard. I Completed The Cousre With An 80/b On My Final Exam. I Say That To Sat It Depends On The Individual. Let Your Motivation Be Your Baby, Like Mine Is, She Is My Life. I Am A Single Parent, Single Parent Or Not Do It For "your Baby And Yourself"

You Go Girl..prayer And Faith Will Get You Through Anything!!

Quote Originally Posted by determined View Post

You Go Girl..prayer And Faith Will Get You Through Anything!!
    you are so right!
    Mr. Starling

Point within the circle!