I swear this was a long time coming. Of course, with the MRSA bit, things have gotten a bit out of hand. Everyone is so afraid of germs, and using such harsh chemicals, maybe we've made ourselves sick? Nurses lead charge on clean, healthy workplaces - Examiner.com

Hospitals can make nurses sick.
University of Maryland School of Nursing teachers and students said Tuesday that hospitals need to rethink the way they clean and sterilize everything from the hospital lobby to the operating room because nurses are getting sick.
Nurses frequently exposed to sterilizing chemicals, housekeeping cleaners, residues from drug preparation, radiation and other hazardous substances reported increased rates of asthma, miscarriage and certain cancers, according to a survey released by UMd.’s School of Nursing.
In addition to their own peril, chemical exposure increased risks of cancers and birth defects in nurses’ children — particularly musculoskeletal defects, the study found.
When nurse Paxson Barker told her supervisors the harsh solvents she used to scrub the catheterization lab floor were literally stealing her breath, she said, “My hospital fought me tooth and nail, because I didn’t have the science behind me. I lost my job.”
While sterile tools and environments are vital in many hospital settings, Afzal said the overdependence on the heaviest solvents leaves plenty of room for questions. “These chemicals are being used in our workplace now. If they were preventing [hospital-acquired infections] you wouldn’t be hearing about it.”

Comments? Anyone?