Thread: As I student, How can I help you?

As I student, How can I help you?

I am a Nursing student in New York. I have done clinical in 4 different hospitals on several different floors. I find that some nurses love having us there and go out of their way to help us experience as much as possible and are more than willing to offer advise and teach the "real world" way of doing things. I have also found that some nurses want very little to do with us. They are happy to have us clean up their patients but when it comes to performing some actual skills that require an ounce of brain power, they would rather we not be involved. We are fully covered by our schools' insurance and we work under the direct supervision of an instructor so I don't think their reasons for not wanting us there are due to liability. I would like to know if any of you nurses out there have students at your facilities and if so what advise can you offer on how I can be more helpful without getting in the way. Also, do you enjoy having students, why or why not? I'm sure there are nightmare stories out there. An evening student assigned to the patient I was taking care of during the day shift last THURS & Fri was feeding her and I don't know what they were thinking because after a bowl-full they realized the food was not going into the stomach and this poor elderly person developed aspiration pneumonia.

Re: As I student, How can I help you?

Sparkysbird, I always enjoy having student on my floor, I tell them that if they want to have some "hands on" to be sure and be available when I am looking for them. There are some students that will hide out in the break room and never actually want to do or witness anything. I have arranged for some of "my" students to witness central line placement, (with Dr and patient permission), if they need to be checked off on a skill that I can have them call their instructor, then I allow that. For me, it all depends on the student. I am usually assigned 1-2 students, and I encourage them to ask questions and to follow me to see what else needs to be done.
    I hope that your clinical experiences improve, keep trying. I have some nurses on my floor that doesn't like the students, but, for the most part, I and most of the other nurses enjoy them.

Member Extraordinaire

Sparkysbird...do what JuliaS said #1 be available. I work L&D but am also an instructor in L&D and Peds (and preceptor program). Do what you are assigned to do, ask if you don't know or understand a treatment, procedure, med etc. Don't take it to heart nurses who aren't helpful in your learning some are just grouchy no matter who is there. If there's anything to do be the first to volunteer to observe or do it if you need checked off...everyone has to give their first shot, first cath, first IV sometime.

A large part of the problem is that students simply slow you down. They tend to ask a lot of questions and are eager to learn.

In itself, those are not negative qualities, we want enthusiastic, intelligent and hands-on nursing students. However, to the rushed, harried and stressed out nurse, having students running around can be a huge hinderance and source of even more stress.

Not every nurse is cut out to teach students or new nurses. In fact, preceptors/nursing instructors can be very difficult to find. You need someone who has a very positive outlook on nursing, has the patience of a saint and extraordinary clinical competence.

I would not take it personally on the floors if you feel you're being treated unreasonably. It is a fact that we eat our young and you'll be experiencing it from now till you've been on the floors for a year or two.

For a more detailed explanation, (and references), visit:
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/young

This is an article written by a nursing student on the topic:

Students' Corner: Nurses eating nurses: The caring profession which fails to nurture its own! Leanne Davey, Contemporary Nurse:"Experienced nurses who are already working in stressful conditions with continuous staff shortages and poor recognition of service see the student nurse sometimes as an extra hindrance to their already increasing workload. Student nurses are theoretically competent but lack the clinical expertise and experience to complement this knowledge which can also add to the professional pressure that experience nurses encounter. Most nurses would like to see themselves, as promoters of nursing but are frustrated and disillusioned with their profession. It would seem then that student nurses as a result of this dissatisfaction are often devoured by some nurses instead of being encouraged and nurtured in their enthusiasm for nursing."
    http://www.contemporarynurse.com/13-2p192.htm

It will shed some light on the situation and why nurses tend to interact with students the way they do.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

Great Thread Sparkysbird....I (also a student) have always wondered the same thing!

Member Extraordinaire

There's an article in the latest edition of Nurse Traveler (I just got yesterday) about mentoring nice little read. Also one about Magnets