Thread: California Nurses Union union busts!

California Nurses Union union busts!

hey all. i'm new to the site, but i just saw this on [another nursing site] and wanted to post it over here. it's the most outrageous disgusting turn of events i've ever heard of. thousands of RNs who were excited to get their union got busted up by this selfish organization. here's a letter RNs wrote to the director (who isn't a nurse!).

March 12, 2008

Dear Rose Ann DeMoro,

It’s hard for us to imagine how someone who calls herself a labor leader could purposely do what you have done to us and our families. You don’t know any of us. You have never been to our homes or met our children. You have never visited us on our shifts, or walked in our shoes. You don’t know a thing a bout the struggle that brought us to the verge of our dream to have a union. And yet without talking to a single one of us you send your bullying staff to come in and spread terrible lies for no other reason than to destroy what we worked so hard to build.

For three years we have worked with SEIU members, leaders and staff to form our union. We sent letters to hospital officials and mobilized community support for fair organizing rules. SEIU has supported and encouraged us through some very hard times, and helped us stand up for ourselves. We are caregivers—registered nurses and respiratory therapists, dietary and housekeeping staff, lab techs and other employees. SEIU helped us understand how we could do more by speaking with one voice and standing together for our families and our patients. SEIU respected our intelligence and our ability to make our own decisions.

You say you stand for democracy. But then you come in with a goal of destroying our campaign without ever asking us what we think about SEIU and our agreement for fair election ground rules—ground rules we now understand you have made use of many times in California.

You say you stand for justice. But then you deny us our opportunity for a fair vote free of misleading propaganda and scare tactics.

Our efforts to unite for better jobs and health care were not a secret. At any time during those three years you could have come and presented your union, compared yourself to SEIU, and asked us to make a choice. But you didn’t. So it is obvious to us that your sole intention was to destroy what we have built. What kind of organization sets out to destroy the efforts of the very people you claim to stand for, and then tries to pretend it’s a moral cause?

Here in Ohio, union organizers and representatives don’t behave the way yours do. They show respect for hard-working people. We have read all the words about how you try to justify this, but when compared to the needs of our families and the needs of our patients, they show a complete disregard for basic fairness and decency. You have brought harm to thousands of workers and families in Ohio, and you should be ashamed of what you have done.

Signed,

Linda Kirby, RN
    Mercy Anderson
    Anderson Township, OH

Sue Koch
    ER Tech
    Mercy Western Hills
    Cincinnati, OH

Barbara Matlie, RN
    Mercy Western Hills
    Cincinnati, OH

Michaela Silver, RCP
    Springfield Regional Medical Center
    Springfield, OH

Diana Stamler, RN
    Mercy Fairfield
    Fairfield, OH

Sally Baker, RN
    Springfield, OH

Mary Ann Wolf,
    Lead Cook
    Mercy Anderson
    Anderson Township, OH

Peggy Vaughn, RN
    Mercy Western Hills
    Cincinnati, OH

Sue Allen, RN
    Springfield, OH

Lorie Compton, RCP
    Mercy Memorial Hospital
    Urbana, OH

Colleen Gresham, RN
    Mercy Mt. Airy
    Cincinnati, OH

Betty White, MLT
    Mercy Fairfield
    Fairfield, OH

Susan Home, RN
    Mercy Mt. Airy
    Cincinnati, OH

Alecia Davis, RN
    Springfield, OH

Marianne Heider, RN
    Mercy Western Hills
    Cincinnati, OH

Thumbs up Re: California Nurses Union union busts!

........... other side of the argument...:devil_smile: California Nurses Association

Smile Re: California Nurses Union union busts!

Re: California Nurses Union union busts!

the impact is devastating. thousands of RNs were disempowered and may be stuck in limbo for years because of the selfish and shortsighted actions of the CNA.

Ohio Caregivers: A Dose of Reality

Unhappy California Nurses Union union busts!

Amen, floRN513

I'm one of those 8,000 nurses who were never given the opportunity to voice my election last week on the unionization vote between SEIU/CHP . Not once did the CNA/NNOC come to us nurses. Where was the CNA during the last 3 years during the campaign? Wait, you show up 6 days before the elections and disrupt patient care, distribute a brochure stating "back room deals" were made. You told the nurses that the SEIU was inferior and "hand picked" by CHP. If that's true where is your proof.

You call yourself a union for nurses and an affiliate of the AFL-CIO. Your tactics were to union bust, an employer tactic. How is that a victory for labor?

You've put a sour taste in my mouth when your organization is mentioned, and you''ve insulted my fellow employees and their families. Hopefully, one day I and other employees of CHP can have an opportunity to have a collective voice.

Mark, Radiology - Specials RN, Springfield Regional Medical Center, Springfield, Ohio

Thumbs down Re: California Nurses Union union busts!

...... the right wing hustle with SEIU...... California Nurses Association

Angry Re: California Nurses Union union busts!

..... no love lost here :devil_smile::devil_smile: Labor Notes | Putting the Movement Back in the Labor Movement

Re: California Nurses Union union busts!

This is an interesting topic.

Can anyone give me the UNBIASED version?

From what I gather, it seems like the CNA came in at the last minute for fear
    of losing power or "market share" of the nurses union, otherwise they would have gotten involved much earlier.

I just started reading about this though, so I could be wrong.