Thread: Accusation of abuse

Anonymous

Accusation of abuse

I am an LPN in a long term care facility. Recently, I was given a write-up because a family member told our administrator that I was "verbally abusive" to an alzheimer's patient because I told the resident to open her mouth as I was trying to assist the resident to eat supper. This was not the resident's own family, but the family of a different resident. I was given no opportunity to explain the dynamics of the entire situation. My DON says she didn't report this to the state, but I could still be terminated if this family member pushes the issue, and she may then have to notify the state [size=3]Text[/f]. If I am fired, can this facility tie up my license? What do I need to know about this situation. I don't want to be fired, but if I am, I want to be able to obtain other work

Re: Accusation of abuse

"I think" there are two courses this can take:
    1. They would have to file charges with the prosecuting attorney for assault. It would have to be proven not an opinion.

2. If you DON would have reported it, the state board could get involved. I would depend on the severity of the abuse what they would do.

The main problem here is what happened. You left a lot of room here for the imagination.

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Accusation of abuse

I don't see just saying open your mouth as anything to be worried about. I could see a family take notice if you'd said something threatening as in open your mouth if you don't you're not going to get fed or any or if or any I'm going to force it in or you'll get a feeding tube. The DON should have given you a chance for your side of the story. I'd write the whole thing down now while it's still fresh in your mind anything you might have said and also what the DON said to you when she brought it up.