Thread: My name is Thompson Palmer

My name is Thompson Palmer

Hello everyone. My name is Thompson Palmer and I just recieved an ARMY ROTC Nursing Scholarship!!! I have a few questions about the feild before i take the offer though. Can I go Special Operatins as a Nurse, and if so , what would I do. Also, what is the most exciting career feild outside of Special Operations Nurse(i.e. in flight...) PLEASE LET ME KNOW. In case you didn't know by now, I am HEAVY into Special Operations. I have even been training for one year prior to even getting the scholarship . HOOAAH!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: My name is Thompson Palmer

Hi, Thompson, and welcome to the site! One of my fellow Mods, Mag, is presently overseas, and can probably answer your questions a little better than I can.

I can promise you this, though...we'll be here for ya during school and beyond.

'Cat'

Re: My name is Thompson Palmer

Quote Originally Posted by ranger1224 View Post
    Hello everyone. My name is Thompson Palmer and I just recieved an ARMY ROTC Nursing Scholarship!!! I have a few questions about the field before I take the offer though. Can I go Special Operations as a Nurse? If so , what would I do? Also, what is the most exciting career field outside of Special Operations Nurse(i.e. in flight...)? PLEASE LET ME KNOW. In case you didn't know by now, I am HEAVY into Special Operations. I have even been training for one year prior to even getting the scholarship . HOOAH!
    Wow! Welcome Thompson Palmer & congrats on the scholarship! I was not ROTC but a direct commission. My son was Army ROTC but not ANC. He was commissioned last month, active duty, 2LT Medical Service Corps officer. I have close to 14 yrs military service both enlisted, officer, reserve, and active duty, USMC & Army. My name is CPT Barrett, Army Nurse Corps officer, which specializes in critical care [66H8A]. Currently, deployed to Iraq and will redeploy this June for a total of 15 miserable months.

What is this Spec Ops you speak about with such motivation? Are you a prior service Combat Medic? You mentioned "in flight". Well, the AMEDD [Army Medical Dept.] does not have a specific flight nurse AOC. That would be the AF. However, ANC officers can go to a two week Joint In-Route Care Course to get certified for Air Medavacs. Although, all 8A [critical care] & M5 [ER] Army nurses can be tasked to go an Air Medavac.

I'm not really sure what you mean by Spec Ops regards to ANC officers? BTW, this training you have been doing for the past year involves what, exactly? I'm just curious.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN