Thread: Nursing student needs your help!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Nursing student needs your help!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!

My name is Emily Snow and I am currently an RN student at Carroll Community College. An assignment I must complete for one of my classes is to get 3 nurses meeting the following criteria (a registered nurse practicing less than one year, a registered nurse practicing more than 8 years, and a registered nurse practicing more than 20 years)to answer the following questions. If you meet these criteria and are willing, please email the answers to snow_emily@hotmail.com or just post them here.

1.What is the hardest part of your job?
    2.What is the easiest part of your job?
    3.What was the one most important thing you learned in nursing school?
    4.What advice would you give a new registered nursing graduate?
    5.What made you want to become a nurse?

Please include your name, title, and where you practice. Thank you for your time and help.

Emily Snow, LPN
    CCC, RN student

Re: Nursing student needs your help!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!

I am an RN with 24 years experience. #1 The hardest part of my job is having to continually shortchange my time for patient care because of ever increasing demands for new paperwork. #2 The easiest part of my job is working with overall great colleagues. #3 The most important thing I learned in nursing school was the advice we got as we neared graduation, ie that no nurse can never know everything because things change so much over time. Know when you don't know something and don't do things you do not know how to do. Know where your resources are. That's it; advice that can be used in any area of practice. #4 The same advice I was given and gave as an example in #3. #5 I took a job as a CNA at an SNF in 1976 and liked working with patients but did not want to work as a CNA forever. My experience with direct patient care has helped me enormously over the years, though, and I have great respect for the talents and insights of the techs I work with now. Sheila M Blanchet RN staff nurse adult medical oncology in small community hospital in Connecticut.

My name is Jodi O'Sullivan and I am a nurse with 10 years experience #1 The hardest part of my job is having to care for increasingly critical patients with fewer and fewer resources ie staff and equipment #2 Taking care of my patients, for the most part patients in the hospital are grateful and respect you for the service that you provide for them. #3 That you don't have to know everything but you better know how to find the answer if you dont. #4 Align yourself with a mentor that is POSITIVE and willing to take you under their wing. Don't be afraid to ask questions and say that you don't know how to do something and remember that being a nurse requires "lifelong learning" for our profession is known for changes and you are better off if you start this wonderful profession with a "go with the flow" attitude #5 I was impacted by a great nurse during a health crisis of my own and saw nurse as a way to help others and fulfilling to me personally.

Thank you both for your help. I really do appreciate it.

Emily