Thread: Changing specialties

Changing specialties

Anyway that I could switch from M/S to L&D? Are there any companies/hospitals willing to train? I hate to have to go back as a staff nurse to learn this specialty since we all know what a cut in pay that would be.
    Hoping???
    Trish

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Changing specialties

I don't think you're going to find any travel company or hospital that will train a travel nurse in a new specialty. As a traveler, you will be given 1, maybe 2 days of orientation, and then you will be expected to function completely on your own. Because travelers are expected to "hit the ground running," most hospitals want you to have 1-2 years of experience in your specialty before you travel. If you really want to switch, you'll have to take a job as a regular staff nurse, train in your new specialty for 1-2 years, and then hit the road again. Sorry- that's probably not what you want to hear, but that's how it is....

Re: Changing specialties

Just FYI- most hospitals give staff nurses 6-12 months orientation when they first come to L+D- and with good reason. In case you decide to go staff to learn it, pick a busy place- you'll get a lot more experience where there are 500 deliveries a month, not 500 a year.