Thread: help! I think my career is over!

help! I think my career is over!

I have been fired from my last two jobs...I received unemployment compensation from both hospitals because I was not fired for "just cause" (as per the unemployment board's standards)... I was fired from hospital #1 because I was pretty vocal about how unsupported and overworked the nurse were, as well as verbally sparring with rude nurse co-workers as well as the "nursing assistants" who would routinely tell me (and other nurses) that they did not have to "help" us because they were unionized.

At hospital No. 2, in 2005, I was being pulled to another floor for the last part of my shift and I had been sick that entire day, I said to my supervisor that I prefer not to go and would rather stay on my unit because I did not feel safe to function in a new environment with a new team of patients and not feel fully functional. This caused quite the uproar with my co-workers who said I wasn't really sick, started screaming at me, etc. (although beforehand they felt bad I was sick). At any rate, I decided to go to de-escalate the situation...Well, the supervisor had found someone else...I received a call at the front desk, and unfortunately, I used bad judgement and told the caller (who was a friend--not a co worker). I said loudly that I had never worked with people who screamed at me and told me I was not sick when I obviously was, etc. This all got back to the nurse manager who suspended me for two days without pay. This was my first offense after nine months of employment...no write up, no verbal warning...suspended... At any rate, the nm and I had a rocky relationship for months then developed a working relationship until this February when all of a sudden every interaction we had was toxic...I was fired on March 5 for supposedly leaving a xanax at the bedside (which I did not do)...I was given unemployment because I was fired without just cause...

Now I am trying to find a job and have no clinical references besides those which have been supplied by coworkers whom I was friendly...nothing from charge nurses/management (they are all friends in management)...this looks really bad! I am not actually even sure I want to be a nurse anymore because of all the upheaval and trouble I have experienced in this profession. But, I am not prepared to do anything else, and I need to make decent money...but, I am not happy with nursing...we definitely need unions and will probably never have them (at least in Pennsylvania). I have tried to apply for travel jobs...but, it isn't going well. Well, thank you all for at least reading this. It helps me to feel better just being able to express the situation. Thank you all for taking the time to read through this.

Joan

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: help! I think my career is over!

Joan, there IS something out there for you....I KNOW there is! i just left my job of approximately 8 years d/t subtle (and not too subtle!) changes over the past year. When I had started the job, I'd had some problems with one of my agencies, and was pretty dang worried I'd never find a place I'd like/fit in, etc. Like I said, 8 years down the road, with more changes...am taking a much needed vacation.

I'd been in the Union as an LPN....did nothing for me. It took forever and pretty much an act of God to remove an aide or two who were pretty much 'dead wood'.

Like I said, there has to be something out there for you!

'Cat'

Thanks Cat,

But, my track record has been pretty bad in nursing...Sadly, although none of my terminations were related to poor caregiving or clinical judgment...I have been terminated by two of the biggest hospital systems in Philadelphia...that blocks me from working in several hospitals within those systems. I can't get a clinical reference only references from my friends/co-workers...I don't even trust working for a hospital system...but, that is where nurses in philly make money. I am not trying to be negative about the situation...but, I don't feel hopeful either. Thank you for your response.

Joan

Hospitals might be where Nurses make money there, but it sounds like you might need to consider other jobs that aren't quite as high paying simply because no amount of money is worth waking up to go to a job you hate. There are other opportunities in Nursing and it's definitely worth checking them out. And honestly, what kind of care is being given to the patients when the nurses are faced with that type of environment? Find something you would enjoy doing, without the hassle, and you'll find it's much more valuable to have that then a few extra dollars in your paycheck.

Joan,

As long as you have a valid license, you have a career. The question then becomes what do [I]you[I] want to do with your career? Perhaps you need to look into other venues of nursing. What about school nursing or something outside the clinical realm like working for a drug company? I did research type work for Abbott Labs and loved it. You may need to move out of your comfort zone to find the job that is a good fit for you. A word of advice (and this is just a thought), you may want to learn to internalize your frustrations in a healthier and safer environment. I like to run my butt off on a treadmill when I had a very bad day. I have also learned the hard way that expressing your opinion about the work ethics or habits of others - no matter how legitimate - only hurts you in the long run.

The great benefit of nursing is there are so many choices. If you want to drop me a note to chat more, please feel free. I am a nurse manager and know that there are always circumstances that are difficult. The profession is in the flux of change. And change is hard for everyone.

I think the others are right, there is always something for nurses to do.
    Don't be discouraged. Gosh, in 24 years of nursing, I have changed so many times when I was unhappy or conflicted. Writing down all the things that have happened sometimes helps me sort them out and feel better-then moving on is somewhat easier.
    :cool:

Hi,

It was really great to hear from you. I agree that I must learn to internalize my frustrations in a healthier way. I did like the flexibility of per diem nursing; but, I don't think it is a good way to work (at least not for me)...part of the problem was I wanted to work alot of hours and when the nm was finished using me for all the hours she needed...she start to treat me like @#%! and tell me things like "If you need a job, you need to get one...I was a good hospital/tele nurse regarding my skills...but, I was really treated like crap and I am kind of traumatized now...I don't know how to get back on my feet. I like clinical nursing, and don't want to be behind a desk (at least not at this point), I liked the money I made in the hospitals...I am definitely confused as well as traumatized...and embarassed of my track record...Thanks for your helpful advice. I didn't see the post until today. I hadn't seen to many replies so I did not check this site for awhile.

Joan