Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long for BSN?...

Re: How long for BSN?...

Quote Originally Posted by MagRedC5 View Post
    It has been my experience that ADN programs have shorter waiting list than BSN programs. Plus, BSN prereqs out number the ADN prereqs. So, IMHO your logic seems a little backwards.
    all depends on the size of the program. It worked for mine which is a small private college. yes, larger universities probably would have big wait lists.

Quote Originally Posted by pipingmad View Post
    all depends on the size of the program. It worked for mine which is a small private college. yes, larger universities probably would have big wait lists.
    You must admit, the prereq list for BSN will be longer than for ADN.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Yes, it is. I'd done the LPN to BSN bit, and had about 4 or 5 extras to do. Took me about 2 years part time, and 1 year full time to get my degree. Then again, I worked pretty much full time, have a mortgage..... It all depends on what you want/can afford.

BTW...I went to a private college. It was worth it.

I'm in an ADN program, and having less prereq's was one of my attractions to it. Despite what some people think, in my program we do take community health classes. Having a BSN gives people a leg up on positions in management, public health, etc. In may case it doesn’t make any sense since I already have two bachelor degrees. I'm looking at a direct to MSN program specializing in nursing informatics.

why do I have to admit that?

As all of us do, we speak from our opinions, education, experience, and first-hand knowledge.

As I said, I went to a small private college. My program didn't have a huge waiting list. It didn't have a list of prereqs that had to be completed before being allowed into the major or before you could take the first few nursing related classes. For freshmen, the "prereqs" were incorporated into their first year. For transfers, they were simply plugged into the program and had to take anything they had not done prior. Sure there was an occassional course they had to take before some others or concurrently, but they were not excluded from the program.

Cool Re: How long for BSN?...

Quote Originally Posted by pipingmad View Post
    why do I have to admit that?

As all of us do, we speak from our opinions, education, experience, and first-hand knowledge.

As I said, I went to a small private college. My program didn't have a huge waiting list. It didn't have a list of prereqs that had to be completed before being allowed into the major or before you could take the first few nursing related classes. For freshmen, the "prereqs" were incorporated into their first year. For transfers, they were simply plugged into the program and had to take anything they had not done prior. Sure there was an occassional course they had to take before some others or concurrently, but they were not excluded from the program.
    I can definitely appreciate your first-hand experience. Yes, your BSN program is set-up in a way for quicker entry than others. However, I'd bet your transcript has more courses listed on it than someone with an ADN. Again, I think it is awesome your BSN program had less of a wait than most other ADN, or BSN programs for that matter.

You certainly don't have to admit anything. This is not some kind of show down. My only show down is with terrorist & insurgents but I digress.

BTW, I can hardly wait to get back to the Puget Sound area, but until then I'll deal with the Sandbox.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12