Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: legal issues

legal issues

I work on a cardiac floor where all my patients are obviously on telemetry. Most of my patients also have foleys. Do any of you guys ever fear legal problems because of this stuff?

I don't mind putting leads on a female. The top 2 go pretty high, and V1 isn't that low. But I always have the patient or a family member feed the leads down under their shirt for my to connect the bottom 2 on their abdomen... I refuse to put my hand down a woman's shirt.

My other issue is putting in catheters. I absolutely refuse to cath a female. I'm 23, and find it extremely awkward, especially when some of my patients are in their mid to late 20s. If they're in the age range that I could be dating them, I find it quite disturbing to do something like put in a foley. It's not just the awkwardness of it either. I'm afraid of a lawsuit. If I have to go to the trouble of getting a female RN to come in the room when I cath a patient, I might as well just hand them the cath tray and let them do it.

I went into nursing being a male, and I chose my profession knowing full well what I was about to get myself into. Do you guys struggle with these kinds of things, or are you able to just chalk it up to professional behavior? Also, are you concerned about legal issues with performing certain skills on females? I'm terrified of it.

i know exactly where your coming from, im 23 myself nd i find it very difficult to perform certain aspects of care for women especially as you said women of my own age, when i was training they put me on a gynae ward for 6 wks, it was so uncomfortable for both me and the women, i learned nothing because most patients ordered me out of the room (i was more than happy to obey!) as for the legal side of things, you can never be too careful, i def woukd never cath a female, there is always enough women around to do it, and in turn i would never have a problem putting a cath in a man for one of my female colleges, its kinder for all involved and simply makes sense!

Ricu

Re: legal issues

I think that this reluctance to do "intimate" procedures on patients of the opposite sex fades over time. Initially, I remember being concerned too, but always remaining respectful, discreet, and professional, have never had a problem. Whenever possible especially catheterizing a woman, I find a female to assist. My female colleagues do the same for their male patients too. I would be dishonest if I didn't state that I have had female patients request a female nurse but they have been rare.

R

In the beginning of my practice I was a little hesitant, but that faded over time. I always approach it as a procedure being performed by a professional, but when you have that uneasy feeling - go with it. My only advice would be NOT to hand off the tray. Get a female witness (even a CNA) and perform the procedure. Once you approach it as a professional your patient's will be reassured and you will only rarely run into reluctance.

I know this forum was meant to be serious, but I was remembering my friend who was in LVN school, and I had to share this with you. She was working in the ER as a student with her instructor, when they brought a little old man in from a nursing home. He needed a foley, and my friend was anxious to try her new skills, so with her instructor by her side, she pulled back the covers to assess the situation. Men are so much easier to cath than women, you know. Well, this little man was uncircumcised, and she couldn't "find" it. She said it looked like a naval. Anyway, her instructor told her to glove up, and use a little lube to grease it up, which she did, but to no avail. She had K-Y all over him, all over her, all over her instuctor, but she never found it!! So I guess men are really not easier to cath than women!! Kisses!!

Ricu

Good one. Your friend wouldn't be the first or last, to have trouble with uncircumcised men. Hopefully this poor old guy didn't have to wait too long to get some relief.

R

Quote Originally Posted by bayleaf36ff View Post
    I work on a cardiac floor where all my patients are obviously on telemetry. Most of my patients also have foleys. Do any of you guys ever fear legal problems because of this stuff?

I don't mind putting leads on a female. The top 2 go pretty high, and V1 isn't that low. But I always have the patient or a family member feed the leads down under their shirt for my to connect the bottom 2 on their abdomen... I refuse to put my hand down a woman's shirt.

My other issue is putting in catheters. I absolutely refuse to cath a female. I'm 23, and find it extremely awkward, especially when some of my patients are in their mid to late 20s. If they're in the age range that I could be dating them, I find it quite disturbing to do something like put in a foley. It's not just the awkwardness of it either. I'm afraid of a lawsuit. If I have to go to the trouble of getting a female RN to come in the room when I cath a patient, I might as well just hand them the cath tray and let them do it.

I went into nursing being a male, and I chose my profession knowing full well what I was about to get myself into. Do you guys struggle with these kinds of things, or are you able to just chalk it up to professional behavior? Also, are you concerned about legal issues with performing certain skills on females? I'm terrified of it.
    "I refuse to put my hand down a woman's shirt."
    "I absolutely refuse to cath a female."

Are you refusing to provide nursing care to your female patients? Maybe it is your age causing you to feel awkward around female patients about your same age. I would think the longer you are a nurse and have more opportunities to provide nursing care to females you will become more comfortable.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Quote Originally Posted by Ricu View Post
    I think that this reluctance to do "intimate" procedures on patients of the opposite sex fades over time. Initially, I remember being concerned too, but always remaining respectful, discreet, and professional, have never had a problem. Whenever possible especially catheterizing a woman, I find a female to assist. My female colleagues do the same for their male patients too. I would be dishonest if I didn't state that I have had female patients request a female nurse but they have been rare.

R
    LOL, I'm intimate with my wife... NOT my patients.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

i don't see it as refusing to provide nursing care for my patients, nursing care is not just about actually doing the proceedure, its also about deciding what makes the proceedure easiest for the patient, just because we are qualified and competent to do something doesnt mean we should be the ones to do it if there is an alternative that makes the patient more comfortable.

i agree that my awkwardness will probably fade with experience, but i hope that it will not fade completely, because that awkwardness reminds me that the patient is probably feeling a whole lot more awkard. saying i would never cath a female is the wrong attitude, something i must work on, but i think saying i would alway cath a female regardless is wrong too!

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by MagRedC5 View Post
    LOL, I'm intimate with my wife... NOT my patients.

Hey Mag,

You bring a smile to my face from across the globe. Glad you remembered to pack your humor. Thanks for the post.

R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast