Thread: Just starting out...

Just starting out...

Well I just recently started college and am hoping to start my RN program this fall. I am 21 and like others didnt want people to know what i was going to school for, however now i dont have a problem telling people. My problem is though that I feel very intimidated by the admission to the program. At the college i am attending they only accept 40 students per year, based on a point system. I feel like i am heavily out numbered on the whole process. I already am thinking that if i am getting lower then a B in a class before the end of this semester i will have to drop my class just to keep a high GPA. Anyone been there that has advice for me??

Re: Just starting out...

I think the whole admissions process is totally stressful regardles of what you are applying for. I am in a different situation than you, but I would suggest you talk to an advisor at the school before dropping any classes. I had A&P class lst night which seems to really kill some peole and the proff is already suggesting peope take a W before they take a bad grade. pretty depressing to hear on the first night of class.
    I might be wrong but i think they might value some diversity in some of the programs and being a guy might help.

Really the only things i need to meet before admission is bio and chem, i already met the math and computer requirements... So the way im seeing it is if i am doing well in those two classes then i dont want to get a lower gpa do to all the other classes i am taking. Its like if im getting A's in those two classes and not in the others by dropping the others i could have a 4.0 so i dont know what to do, i am working hard in all the classes but im afraid that even B's in the others will hurt me.

I finished high in my class, but so what?! Never once did an instructor sing my praise! And then after graduation, the playing field equalizes all grads! The degree of the many-a blooming idiot (who have no business becoming a nurse) will look the same as yours. A high GPA will get you respect and bragging rights (only while in school), but that's it. When a nurse applies for a job, the anticipated employer won't hesitate to hire a prospect just because of a low academic score. With that said...

My advice to you would be (as cliche as it sounds) kick some butt! Study hard. Don't satisfy yourself with minimal amounts of knowledge. Never settle, be the best. Compete and win, don't be intimidated. Show them girls that a man can win "there game". They obviously picked you for a reason. Roll up your GPA and stuff it up your instructor's ass's until they sing it. Who's the boss? Not Tony Danza buddy-YOU ARE!

With nursing becoming more and more attractive these days, you can expect that criteria for getting into nursing school will become more stringent.

There's a nursing shortage, meaning there will be jobs for everyone in nursing for the next two decades. There's a shortage of nursing faculty, meaning there will be a lot more applicants that students accepted.

Don't obsess over grades, do apply to several nursing school and do it early. Waiting lists of up to two years are common in many places.

If you're patient and flexible, there are still spots in nursing school to be had.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursingschools.com

I am in the same place as you are age wise (20), and trying hard to get into the RN program. I am nervous about the credits, as well but I am hoping, that the degree I am completing in Therapeutic Recreation will help. You should consider a 2 year Associates degree RN or even an LPN than transfering over to the BA. Also, It would be awesome to correspond to someone else in the same process as me.

Hey Guys!
    I'm new to this forum, 47 year old carpenter by day First Year ADN (Part time evening program towards RN)at local community college (with a 95 percent passage rate on LPN+RN NCLEX). Waited for 3 years to get my seat here, competing with (and staying on par) with 'kids' like you--and working hard to keep it. I am the only guy left out of the 4 of us that started. (Try framing a roof all day long in 95 degree weather and taking a test that night on muscles and tetanic actions!)
    Grades are important, but knowing what to do with it is just as important--Is that adolescent exhibiting tardive dyskenisia or just fidgety?
    Stop being so self absorbed and become other absorbed and be the best( "I prefer the term, "Health Care Provider"--he he!) I can be for others.
    The patient doesn't care how much you know, they need to know that you care. I gotta study for my test Monday on Phamacology now and then do my online MedsPub exam, oh yeah the nursing assessment and intervention notes from Cliniical are due Monday also o damn where do ya get white pants-cheap that dont look dorky.
    Be grateful for your options.
    At least we wont have to worry about "capping".
    Bkewlbhappybu.
    Smile.... they wonder what you're thinking and it makes them crazy.