Thread: New Grads In Hospital Settings

Question New Grads In Hospital Settings

Hi all......I am just starting school (ADN) and hoping to work for the local children's hospital. I have a question about new grads being hired in hospitals:
    where do we usually end up??? I know that sounds very open-ended, but is there some kind of ladder or structure for new grads? Also, will I be able to take specific pediatric courses in school or will that have to come later through CE or an RN-BSN program? Thanks for any help. I'm kind of Forrest Gump-ing my way around at this point! Dawn

Re: New Grads In Hospital Settings

I think it varies much depending upon program and location. I know around me (rural MN) there is not a nursing shortage. So...I'm finding it VERY difficult to find a hospital job. But..I have friends all over the country who had no problem getting hired in a hospital right out of school. As far as peds goes, that too will prabably depend on how short staffed the hospital is, how well you interview etc.

You also may change your mind once you do clinicals. Going into nursing school you have an idea of things that don't really turn out to be that grand. Or...something you thought you'd hate you find you just "fit." I thought about peds or OB going into school...but discovered I love med/surg and ICU better. I discovered I prefer to treat mostly the patient, not deal with the child patient who is terrified, plus the parents, plus the grandparents, aunts, uncles, and whoever else shows up and is telling the parents, drs, and nurses what to do.

Re: New Grads In Hospital Settings

Quote Originally Posted by cocoadawn View Post

Hi all......I am just starting school (ADN) and hoping to work for the local children's hospital. I have a question about new grads being hired in hospitals:
    where do we usually end up??? I know that sounds very open-ended, but is there some kind of ladder or structure for new grads? Also, will I be able to take specific pediatric courses in school or will that have to come later through CE or an RN-BSN program? Thanks for any help. I'm kind of Forrest Gump-ing my way around at this point! Dawn
    from virgil rn.
    It is nice you want to work with children.but you are just starting school and you may find later that other nursing areas may be of your interest.now at the begining of a nursing carrer you have to get what you can get,and then search for a position that you really want.meanwhile you could take continuing education guided towrds peds so you could demonstrate interest to a future manager,and for now study study and good luck.
    virgil rn

Wink Re: New Grads In Hospital Settings

Thanks for the info, April. I have to admit, I hadn't thought about having to deal with bossy relatives that much, just the kids. But after 25 years of restaurant management, I'm pretty used to handling hard to take, hard to please, hard to let leave alive-type people, LOL.

I'm thinking peds or OB right now, but I am pretty open. This is my second career and I have (I hope) at least 20 years left to enjoy it, so I feel like everything is a possibility!

Thanks again! Dawn