Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desperate Need of Advice from a Nurse

Desperate Need of Advice from a Nurse

Dear Nurse,

I was put on birth control about 2 1/2 months ago. Should I still be feeling any side effects? I am having headaches, sometimes my stomach really hurts down in the abdomen area. I feel like this pounding in my lower stomach (almost like a heartbeat). Could I be pregnant? I had sex like three weeks after being on the pill. I did take a home pregnancy test twice, once in the morning and a week later at night, both of them came up negative. Could it be just my nerves considering that I am planning a wedding for July of 2005? I am scared. I did have my last period about 2 1/2 weeks ago but it was like for two to three days long. Let me know as soon as possible.

Thank you. If you need any other information I will be happy to give it to you.

Re: Desperate Need of Advice from a Nurse

Why are you asking this question to a nurse? You should ask a medical doctor.

Member Extraordinaire

maybe they asked a nurse because a nurse could know the answers.
    Yes you can get Preg on the pill.
    You might need a different pill and you might have different side effects based on day of the month no matter what. Some pills you have very little period of just a couple of days.
    and in the end if you are still having headaches see your doc.

I think in the age of internet people are looking for easy answers. People need to be instructed to seek a family doctor or call the health department for evaluation. There are so many medications out there that counter act birth control pills.To much at risk with out a pelvic exam, lab work, some abd palpation. What I am trying to say is, there needs to be a hands on assessment. Some times what you think is a simple answer may be misleading.

Member Extraordinaire

I just thought why say why ask a nurse ask a doctor...go to planned parenthood you'll most likely be talking to a NP not a doc but if you do have a doc that put you on the pill and you are having problems sure go to the doc especially if you have negative pregnancy test more then likely not pregnant....is just found the why are you asking a nurse a little insulting...why not ask a nurse not like we don't know as much as docs in some areas. Just like someone says I want to be a doc but start out as a nurse and "move up" I don't know that being a doc is "moving up" maybe I should check with a doc about getting a chill pill LOL

Planned parenthood is an great idea. I did not think of that. I beleive as nurses we can give direction, but we should not answer some of the questions people ask.

AND, I do understand you comment that "why ask a nurse? " is insulting. But, as i said, we may not give them the answer they want, we can give direction.

Thank you to all of you as nurses. YOu have been very helpful. I did ask you because I did figure that you probably knew a lot about this and had some sort of answers. I have an appointment with my family/ob gyn doctor on Thursday, so hopefully I will get some answers. I don't think that I pregnant. I think that I will be getting my period today or tomorrow..>I know the symptoms that I am having right now. I am freaked about possibly being pregnant but you know several symptoms could lead to this besides being pregnant. I think that I pregnant test would come positive at least once at home if I took it twice. Don't you think so. I put a lot of faith into nurses and I guess that is another reason I asked you. I can't believe that "spongebathbob" said that about nurses. I hope he/she isn't one!

Thank you for your comments!

Member Extraordinaire

Home pregnancy tests are pretty good and easy anymore. If we get someone that says they have a positive they just get a prenatal appt for 8 weeks from start of last period and told to get vitamins and call if there is a problem before then.

Another question, you guys might know...
    When you are on birth control could a symptom be really severe abdominal pains in the abodomen? I just wanted to know. I was up with them last night and barely could move at times. I will for sure ask my doctor on Thursday. I am still having some mild ones but they hurt now.

Let me know!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast