Thread: Board Questions

Board Questions

Hello, I finally have THE Board meeting, now I'm getting nervous. i have been dreading this for 3 years!!

I am thankful to have over 3 years active recovery, 1 1/2 with RDS documentation, etc. I was slow to enter the program b/c action on my license had already been taken, and i truly believed i would never work as a nurse again.

I have an indefinate suspension at this time. From what i have read on State Board websites i believe what will happen is that i will be placed on indefinate probation til i can complete my contract (will need to begin working)

What questions will they be asking me? I know that i can confidently answer questions about my life and sobriety. I am afraid i will get questions like "what the H@@@ were you thinking" "how can we trust you again". Am i heading to the lions den, or am i worried for no reason? I don't want to get overly confident just b/c i am sober, and not be completely prepared.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Board Questions

Just speaking for massachusetts, the program is 1 year suspended license with 4 more years probation and then you're done - I believe. Congratulations on your 3 years

You may be asked why you want your license back, and why you didn't respond in the beginning. In CA your license would be reinstated, revoked, and the revocation stayed for an average of three years. You can work during that period but under strict guidelines. At the end of that period your license would be reinstated in full.
    A study conducted by UCLA's Department of Psychiatry has revealed that the kind of male face a woman finds attractive can differ depending on where she is in her menstrual cycle. If she is ovulating, she is attracted to men with rugged and masculine features. If she is menstruating, or menopausal: she is attracted to a man with scissors lodged in his temple and a bat jammed up his patootie while he is on fire. Further studies are expected.

Unhappy Re: Board Questions

my name is cindy.

In february I was convicted of writing prescriptions for our office manager. I was under so much stress and threats from her I couldn"t take it anymore. This person had TOTAL control of any time off you requested, and to be spiteful would not approve time off. If you needed office supplies she would either not get them for you or hide them.

I did not think I would get in trouble because the script came from a DR. who never said no.

In Ohio, Lorain County has the most strictis(sp?)courts.

A pharmacist noticed that the same girl was pharmacy hopping. I did not know this.

She would bring blank signed prescriptions from one of our physicians. It never entered my mind that she could be stealing them from the Dr's desk or the nurses desk. Anytime I asked this DR. if I could write it, he approved.

I got sloppy and did not ask about nine prescriptions she got since 2002.I was convicted, was refused any type of intervention.

I got 3 years probation, which I was let off of in 11 months due to the fact that everyone of my drug screens were negative.(14 in six months)

The nursing board was RUTHLESS in their punishment. Narcotic restrictions for 6 monts. I am not allowed to work in: home health care, Hospice, visiting nurses, pain managment offices, agencies, an independant provider in peoples homes, nursing homes, and are not allowed to volunteer my time for charity at any clinics. This is for 2 years.

Once you tell perspective employers what your restrictions are, it's so long-see you later.

Where am I supposed to get work with all those employment restrictions?

Is there any other nurses from Ohio who are in the same boat?

I forgot to mention that I did not receive any of the medication or any type of money compensations for the prescriptions .

First i wanted to say that the Board meeting went well. There were a thousand people there and i was required to sit in the front of a lecture type hall, facing the Board, and answer questions like: doing 12- step? (what step are you on and what is it). what have you done since susupension, stayed current with profession/how?, since license revocation been arrested, convicted, relaspsed, etc?

My diversion program is very non-judgemental and willing to work with us. There are no specific restrictions regarding where i work. They will accept or reject on a place by place basis. I continue in the program until i begin working, and then I have 6 month probation with ETG, monitoring etc. Based on what i have read i am EXTREMELY lucky in this.

to Cindy: I have read and heard awful things about OH B.O.N. You have already proven something in being let of probation so quickly. This is to your benefit. No nursing homes, or just as an independent provider in them? I have heard to check them out, as well as insurance companies (BSN?), and dialysis centers. Have you interviewed already and where?

our situations are very different, as i had an actually dependency problem as well as the indiscretions which led to a criminal record. I am going to approach an interview with accurate and concise information about my past "although the action on my license and criminal record are results of more than one event, they are related to an ISOLATED period in my life.
    As a nurse i wholeheartedly believe that recovery is possible. I have 3 years of documention showing this."
    I will try to not to focus on this area, but it is definately something i would rather approach myself, before they get doubts and start asking themselves.

I would be honest, concise, and confident. Someone here wrote that if you are confident in yourself, others will be too.

I wish you all the luck and hope someone will be able to expand on the job possibilities.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Talking Finding work

cindy,

I would suggest to you that the board was no more ruthless with you than they have been with most of us in this predicament. The fact is none of us got into diversionn/probation by using good judgement. The Board's only concern in this matter is public safety. We are very fortunate that such programs exist, since they allow us to preserve our careers.

When it comes to finding work here are some suggestions : Look for work in non-patient care such as admitting, assessment or case management. Also most psych facilities and skilled nursing facilities will hire you as they usually have seperate staff that passes meds. If you were in California I could get a job in a snap. If you are going to any kind of nurse support group find out where your peers in recovery are working and follow their lead. Even if it's not your dream job you will be working and that's what matters right now - after your license is fully restored you can go back to what you love.

The thing I have learned is that it's useless to fight the Boards you will always lose. Settle down take first things first and jump through the hoops. Soon you will back where you were and you will not make the same mistakes again.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

In february I was convicted of writing prescriptions for our office manager. I was under so much stress and threats from her I couldn"t take it anymore. This person had TOTAL control of any time off you requested, and to be spiteful would not approve time off. If you needed office supplies she would either not get them for you or hide them.

I did not think I would get in trouble because the script came from a DR. who never said no.

In Ohio, Lorain County has the most strictis(sp?)courts.

A pharmacist noticed that the same girl was pharmacy hopping. I did not know this.

She would bring blank signed prescriptions from one of our physicians. It never entered my mind that she could be stealing them from the Dr's desk or the nurses desk. Anytime I asked this DR. if I could write it, he approved.

I got sloppy and did not ask about nine prescriptions she got since 2002.I was convicted, was refused any type of intervention.

I got 3 years probation, which I was let off of in 11 months due to the fact that everyone of my drug screens were negative.(14 in six months)

The nursing board was RUTHLESS in their punishment. Narcotic restrictions for 6 monts. I am not allowed to work in: home health care, Hospice, visiting nurses, pain managment offices, agencies, an independant provider in peoples homes, nursing homes, and are not allowed to volunteer my time for charity at any clinics. This is for 2 years.

Once you tell perspective employers what your restrictions are, it's so long-see you later.

Where am I supposed to get work with all those employment restrictions?

Is there any other nurses from Ohio who are in the same boat?[/QUOTE]

Happygr8ful gave good advice; networking in your peer support group is a great way to gain access to employment. I am in CA diversion program and got both my non-patient care and patient care jobs that way. I loved my non-patient care nursing job; American Red Cross Blood Banks. I would have been more than happy to stay there throughout diversion but I really started to miss patient care and financially, I just couldn't afford to do it anymore. Best wishes to you all; keep your chin up and every day be grateful. While challengingl; this has been the best thing ever to happen to me!