Thread: hours of work?

hours of work?

I currently work a 8-5 job in the business world, and it is not gratifying to me. I am actually on my second job, and still just doesnt interest me. I always thought being a doctor would be an awesome job, but aside from the obvious time commitment and student debt issues with medical school, I also want to have a work/life balance. I also like the idea of direct patient care, and not the other issues that doctors have to mess with. So now I am thinking of going back to school to get my BSN. Thats my background in a nutshell.

My question is in regards to Nursing school. Does it matter the prestige of the nursing school you graduate from? I would like to down the road explore becoming a nurse anesthetist. Would it matter at that point where I graduated nursing schol from?

Re: hours of work?

I would check out the schools reputation, and make sure they are NLN accredited. There was recently a huge issue in my area. A school lost it's accredidation...and the graduates had alot of problems with jobs.

Smile Re: hours of work?

Quote Originally Posted by ndb View Post
    I currently work a 8-5 job in the business world, and it is not gratifying to me. I am actually on my second job, and still just doesnt interest me. I always thought being a doctor would be an awesome job, but aside from the obvious time commitment and student debt issues with medical school, I also want to have a work/life balance. I also like the idea of direct patient care, and not the other issues that doctors have to mess with. So now I am thinking of going back to school to get my BSN. Thats my background in a nutshell.

My question is in regards to Nursing school. Does it matter the prestige of the nursing school you graduate from? I would like to down the road explore becoming a nurse anesthetist. Would it matter at that point where I graduated nursing schol from?
    Hey ndb, your question "does it matter the prestige of the nursing school you graduate from" is a really good one. For most nursing jobs it doesnt' as long as you graduated from an accredited school as April RN mentioned. However, if you intend to "teach" some day your "pedigree" or where you went to school could be a factor. You never know where you will be 5-10 years from now. Also, if you go into the business end of nursing and want to become a CNO for instance, your school could matter. Most hospitals need nurses so bad they only care if you have a license but your schools prestige or pedigree could matter so given the choice, go to the best program possible. My advice for what its worth.