Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nurse : Patient Ratio

Re: Nurse:Patient Ratio

I am currently working on a tele unit, ratio 1:5. In the past I have worked on units tele and ms 1:10, 1:6 and 1:8. These have been with and without assistants. The unit I currently work on has a pretty good ratio and the patient get a little more TLC. I did an assignment on a stepdown unit once and the ratio was 1:5, that was a dangerous situation! Too many critical patients per nurse, it wasn't the least bit of fun!!:hung:
    :soexcited:

Hello, I work as a med-surg nurse in california and our ratio is 1:5 day or evening. We have no charge nurse so we do all the admits, discharges, and calls to the doctors. The lvn's usually have their own patient load 1:5. They can do just about everything except iv meds and hang iv solutions with potassium.The rns pass all meds on their patients and will usually cover 1 or 2 of the lvns patients. Our med surg floor is small. It can hold up to 26 patients. What are the ratios like in other states?

Member Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by foxyb621 View Post
    Hello, I work as a med-surg nurse in california and our ratio is 1:5 day or evening. We have no charge nurse so we do all the admits, discharges, and calls to the doctors. The lvn's usually have their own patient load 1:5. They can do just about everything except iv meds and hang iv solutions with potassium.The rns pass all meds on their patients and will usually cover 1 or 2 of the lvns patients. Our med surg floor is small. It can hold up to 26 patients. What are the ratios like in other states?
    we don't have any required ratios in KY or IN. There are staffing grids and acuity systems but that doesn't mean they are followed...our postpartum/gyn floor might have 1 or 20 patients and that's covered by 1RN and 1 LPN no matter how many patients (sometimes 2&1 during the day) our charge nurse is only there to give report the admits and d/c's a whoever gets them...we play by the team (or gang up) approach everyone just pretty much works together which works most of the time... L&D is another story see above

So far, it averages 7:1 & 8:1 in the ED, acuity doesn't matter. Just last week I had what turned out to be 5 ICU holds (in addition to 3 other patients) by the end of my shift (12p-12A). I did get a little help from floats now and then; but, the techs are useless, and except for a couple of them, they might as well stay home. I was told it is because nurses aren't union and the techs are. It was no use complaining that the max in our ICU is 2:1 because of patient safety issues-I was told that the ED is different. This is a relatively new job (hospital) and I think it is time to start looking elsewhere. Funny thing, the NM doesn't seem to recall telling me that the max would be 5:1 during my interview, (after I told her I was looking for a new position because the patient ratios were going to soon be increasing to 7:1):lies: . Nobody wants to hear about the ENAs (Emergency Nursing Association) recommendation that the ratios be no greater the 4:1:frustrated: . Does anybody have that ratio in their ED and are they looking for additional nurses?
    :houra:

Member Extraordinaire

I see you're from NYC. I couldn't start to imagine to working an ER there or in LA, Chicago etc...you see all of the things on the news about the big ER's and people that show up to use the ER for everything (like they do ours but not on the same scale) and waiting all day for minor things and holding patients for ever waiting for beds I think that would drive me nuts. I think we might have 1 gunshot a month (that I hear about)...maybe I've watched to much Trauma live in the ER on TV.

Re: Nurse : Patient Ratio

Hey y'all, I'm new, help!! We're having a press conference tomorrow morning in front of a hospital in the Dallas,Tx area that terminated 3 ICU nurses for refusing unsafe patient assignment. No union in Texas, that's taboo you know, but I can't see how we can avoid it at this point. We have been sent to classes so that we will give the "right" answer to JAHCO during their visit, in other words, we're lying!!

Wow, 7:1 & 8:

Our ER, it is 4:1.
    ICU, 2:1
    Medical, 5:1
    Surgery, 4:1
    I don't know how it works out on OB, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by TJRN View Post
    So far, it averages 7:1 & 8:1 in the ED, acuity doesn't matter. Just last week I had what turned out to be 5 ICU holds (in addition to 3 other patients) by the end of my shift (12p-12A). I did get a little help from floats now and then; but, the techs are useless, and except for a couple of them, they might as well stay home. I was told it is because nurses aren't union and the techs are. It was no use complaining that the max in our ICU is 2:1 because of patient safety issues-I was told that the ED is different. This is a relatively new job (hospital) and I think it is time to start looking elsewhere. Funny thing, the NM doesn't seem to recall telling me that the max would be 5:1 during my interview, (after I told her I was looking for a new position because the patient ratios were going to soon be increasing to 7:1):lies: . Nobody wants to hear about the ENAs (Emergency Nursing Association) recommendation that the ratios be no greater the 4:1:frustrated: . Does anybody have that ratio in their ED and are they looking for additional nurses?
    ER-RN

It is alright to get tired, but, never give up."

Proud Grancama!

I work at a community hospital in Missouri (40 west of Saint Louis ). I work on a 43 bed MS unit. Our ratio is usually 7:1 and sometimes 8:1. However, I have had as many as 13 patients total, in 12 hours taking into account discharges and admissions. We do have PCTs to assist with bathes, feeders V/S (thank God!). I refused to do relief charge the other day AND have an 8 patient assignment. I cannot give the kind of care patient's deserve AND be an effective CRN. Matter of fact, having 8 patients, discharges and admissions, barely allows for mediocare care in my opinion.

I have been at this hospital for 6 years, for some reason I thought maybe it would get better. In fact, it has only gotten worse! We are admonished if we "vent" ( we are not being "team players" ) and if we bring up our concerns at staff meetings, it is likely to prevent us from getting any kind of raise( that happened to a couple of my peers this year).

I am looking to head west the 1st of the year.....travel to CA or AZ. Prob go back to peds ( where I was for 13 years before moving here - staffing ratios were doable, my back didn't hurt, and I never dealt with "drug seekers" ). If I am going to retire as a bedside nurse , I want to make as much money as I can for putting up with what bedside nursing has become......a business.

Y'all have a great day and be safe!
    Judi

Hi, I work in the OR now, but on the med/surg/tele. floor I worked on prev., an Rn on days would have 4 pts. usually, occ. 5 if they were a little more self sufficient, the RPN's would have 4-5. The RPN's are great, they do alot, the only thing the RN has to worry about with the RPN's load is IV meds, or if something changes and you need dr. orders. On eves, the RN would have 6 and on nights it jumps to 8 per RN. I found the load was usually satisfactory, but on days it could get quite hectic if your pt. had to go for CT or radiology as we had to transport our own pts. there. But that's another story....

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Cool Re: Nurse : Patient Ratio

Quote Originally Posted by TeleNurse4986 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, would anyone like to offer the floor they work on and the maximum Patient : Nurse ratio (day and night shifts)?

I'm just curious to see what ratios others are working.

I work on a Tele floor our day ratio is 6:1 and nights is 7-8:1

Hi - I work in a acute psych facility- my unit routinely has 16-17 patients with 1 rn, 1 lvn and two floor staff.

The RN (me) performs and documents all the asessments, The LVN passes the meds and transcribes orders, the floor staff are with patients all day helping with the patients basic needs and keeping patient behavior from getting out of control. IMHO this is very unsafe but there are no legally established ratio for free standing psych facilities in California. Three weeks ago I was punched in the face by a patient - another staff member (A case mnager had her nose broken recently) Why do I stay? The hours and pay are great and it's not just a job - it's and adventure!

Hppy

hppy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast