Thread: New here! And question about IV/BW cert vs Phleb

New here! And question about IV/BW cert vs Phleb

Hi! I'm new to this forum! I'm an LVN in Orange County....hopefully will be an RN in the near future :houra:

Anyway I just have a question....hopefully someone here may be able to help me with.

I completed a class for "IV Therapy & Blood Withdrawals for LVNs" earlier this year & was certified by the BVNPT, however, a job that I applied for is requiring me to get a Phlebotomy license and has referred me to a school in Garden Grove to take the class. Is there is a difference? The job duties will require me to perform blood draws for labs, but no IVs. I explained to the company that blood draws are already covered in the certifcation that I currently hold. The class that I completed was 5 days (3p-8p) and included 2 clinical lab days practicing sticks & IV insertions....and for the certification we had to complete 3 successful blood dras + 3 successful IV insertions. The class this company is referring me to is only 1 day long and from reading their course description & outline it covers pretty much the same exact curriculum I already received, but with the exception of IV insertion.

I don't mind having to re-take the class if that's the only way they will give me the job, however, I also don't want to have to pay another $100 and sacrifice my veins if I can help it. Also I feel that because the course that I alread received is more comprehensive in length & content than they course they are referring me to.....I already received the sufficien training that they need. If I can get some more information perhaps to show the company that it's the same course & certification they will accept it & not make me take another class. I've tried calling the BVNPT on this matter, but haven't been able to get ahold of an actual person to speak to....hopefully they will reply to my messages soon as the company wants me to start work in a couple weeks & be certified within 30 days.

Thanks in advance for your help & advice.

If anyone's looking for an IV/BW cert course feel free to contact me & I'll forward the info to you.

Re: New here! And question about IV/BW cert vs Phleb

I would love to get the info. on that. I have been trying to find an IV cert class and am not having much luck! Do you have to already have and LVN liscense? I am currently 6mo. into a prog. Any info would be great! Thanks! Good luck!
    Ashley
    Ashley