Thread: NCLEX-RN test taking strategies.. please

Red face NCLEX-RN test taking strategies.. please

Does anyone know, where I could get a good and effective test taking strategy guide or manual? Thanks... Im having a hard time, and freaking out. Coz I failed the NCLEX-RN the 1st time. Despite my studying and understanding my concepts. I've seen the exam format based on last traumatic experience and realized most of the choices to the questions seemed all, okay or correct. I think I lacked the test taking strategy skills.. Could anyone help me? Thanks in advance..

Re: NCLEX-RN test taking strategies.. please

It's been 15 years since I took the NCLEX-RN. We didn't even do it on computers so I can't offer you much.

Sometimes it's how good you are at taking tests that matters most. I scored very high (not bragging) because (I think) I was really good at taking multiple-choice tests. Also, in my nursing program (ASN), all of our tests were written just like the NCLEX.

There are all kinds of tips to multiple choice like: Never pick answers with "never" or "always" (i.e., absolutes), for example.

If you go to:

http://www.google.com

and search for "multiple choice tests" there are a lot of sites that offer strategies for this kind of test.

I thought the best info was at:

http://www.clt.cornell.edu/campus/le...hoicetests.pdf

It's a pdf file so you'll need the Adobe reader.

Good Luck to you!!

i am a nursing student and have not taken the NCLEX yet but there are several resources. if you go to lippincott williams and wilkins website they have programs that you can purchase that ask current NCLEX questions, also take a look at ATI they are very helpful
    kim

I took the Kaplan review (which was madated by my school), which I felt was a waste of time, BUT, that's because I already felt confident in regards to my test taking skills. I would recommend Kaplan to you, because you stated that you believed you lacked test taking strategies, & that's what they focus on. I wouldn't necessarily say take the review, but at least buy their book & go through their cd-rom. They break it down how to take apart a question. Some of my classmates say it helped, so I'm spreading the advice on to you. Kaplan is good for those uneasy about their test taking skills.
    Good luck to you:houra:
    Rita, RN, BSN

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

We had a mandated review, also. The school also (at the time) wanted us to do so many questions from NCLEX 3000. I think that helped some.

I would say review your text section by section. Can't hurt!

'Cat'