Thread: Need Advice from Nurses...please

Need Advice from Nurses...please

I am making a huge career change, after 20 years at the same job, and a recent restructure, I have the opportunity to go to school. I have always wanted to be a nurse. ( I do understand that it is a very underpaid job ) My grand plan is to become an LPN, then RN and hopefully obtain a BSN. I am 49 years old and -0- college credits, and mathmetically challenged. I am seeking advice from anyone that may have went this path. The thought of the clinicals, any other subjects, etc, does not bother me. My biggest fear is the amount of mathmatics involved to get where I want to be. From reading the posts, I am worried about the LPN path; period. It seems that this lacks respect from peers, and I do not understand this? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Need Advice from Nurses...please

I just graduated from BSN school and the only "college" math that I had was College Algebra besides Statistics which some universities consider a psychology course... other than these the only math was basic nursing calculations ..don't let the math part get to you...there are plenty of broke college students willing to tutor for a small fee ( of course LOL)
    Follow your dreams...

am confused?

Can someone explain to me a nurses career path... as in... from a CNA to LPN to RN to BSN? Am sorry but from what I know, the BSN should come first before one becomes an RN. You get the RN title one you pass the state board exam. Am I right or am I just messed up because of the difference in your country's classification from mine.

Re: am confused?

[ QUOTE ]
    Smurfetjuz4u said:
    Can someone explain to me a nurses career path... as in... from a CNA to LPN to RN to BSN? Am sorry but from what I know, the BSN should come first before one becomes an RN. You get the RN title one you pass the state board exam. Am I right or am I just messed up because of the difference in your country's classification from mine.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The mentioned nurse's career path should have read; CNA-LPN-RN(ADN)-RN(BSN). An ADN is a 2 year degree nursing program, which upon completion the nursing graduate sits for the state board exam. Whereas, a BSN is a 4 year degree nursing program, which upon completion the nursing graduate takes the same state board exam as the ADN graduate.

My nursing career path goes as follows; CST-RN(ADN)-RN(BSN) & currently taking the last required prereq for the Army Nurse Anesthesia Masters program. IMHO, the only reason for a BSN is a stepping stone to a Masters program.

I see... does it mean that coming from a foreign school... I still have to take up ADN before I can proceed to BSN? Coz right now I just finished my Med Surg & Psych... Am actually 2 semesters away from finishing BSN...from here. and probably 1 semester away there.

Depends on how your schooling in the Phillipines compares to the curriculum here. They may accept some courses but not others. Once you've completed your schooling and gotten licensed, the important thing is being able to work. With a US nursing license, regardless of education you can work and continue your education as far as you wish to take it.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com