Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the Different betwen Male Nurse and Female Nurse in the Ward?

Re: What is the Different betwen Male Nurse and Female Nurse in the Ward?

OK I hope I'm not imposing is this forum only for male nurses.
    Business is business you would hope but never for nurses. We all have our things about nursing we like to do or don't like to do & by most of these replies I dont think our gender has much to do with it.
    Patients do. I have seen women refuse male nurses & aids. I've seen there husband & fathers do it for them. It's frustrating the work then gets pushed of on female nurse. I went to school with a great male nurse & he was out of the loop all the time especially in OB very unfair!!!!!! But it is the patients right which I support & as a woman I could understand where there might be a misconception as to what a man might be thinking about while performing the more personal aspects of care (sorry guys) as a nurse I think that its just business evaluation of anatomy & second nature to nurses as well as docs. The only reason I could guess why people feel different about docs is the relationship is a choosen one & more personalized as most docs are known over time.
    Maybe I'm out line but what male patient wouldn't prefer a female nurse to a male nurse inserting his catheter.

Quote Originally Posted by kwnurse View Post
    OK I hope I'm not imposing is this forum only for male nurses.
    Business is business you would hope but never for nurses. We all have our things about nursing we like to do or don't like to do & by most of these replies I dont think our gender has much to do with it.
    Patients do. I have seen women refuse male nurses & aids. I've seen there husband & fathers do it for them. It's frustrating the work then gets pushed of on female nurse. I went to school with a great male nurse & he was out of the loop all the time especially in OB very unfair!!!!!! But it is the patients right which I support & as a woman I could understand where there might be a misconception as to what a man might be thinking about while performing the more personal aspects of care (sorry guys) as a nurse I think that its just business evaluation of anatomy & second nature to nurses as well as docs. The only reason I could guess why people feel different about docs is the relationship is a choosen one & more personalized as most docs are known over time.

Maybe I'm out line but what male patient wouldn't prefer a female nurse to a male nurse inserting his catheter.

I for one would not. I would feel more comfortable having a male do it. Why would you think all men would want a female to insert their catheter? Believe it or not when I am working on patients I viewthem clinically and not as sex objects. I have worked post partum and OB and it was just a job. Only a very few women asked to have a female nurse. Granted, If I had the choice today I would ask not to be floated to those areas because of todays litigious society and crys of sexual harassment by every other female.

Quote Originally Posted by kwnurse View Post
    Well... why WOULD a male patient prefer a female nurse to insert a catheter? Are you thinking that a male patient would "get off" on having a female nurse insert a tube into his bladder? I don't think so. If he did then he's got some issues way beyond anything we can help him with. I'm sure that some prefer a female nurse because of homophobic issues, but I have been told by several male patients that they prefer another man to do this particular procedure because they have had bad experiences with women performing it. Various reasons come to mind for this, cultural, etc, but from the remarks I have heard made by the patients, and female nurses, I have come to the conclusion that some female nurses are more forceful and rough when doing this.

Just for the record, sexual harassment goes both ways. Over the years I've had quite a few female patients make remarks to me that involved sexual innuendo such as "how often do I get to have you give me a bed bath?" or "I really need some help getting out of these clothes" (said by a patient who is young and very capable of undressing herself). I have even been propositioned for sex a few times. It appears that many female patients have fantasies about being intimately cared for by a nurse of the opposite gender. Based on my experience I would even go so far as to say that it's a common occurrence. I'm sure that the women who are prone to this type of behavior feel that it is more allowable because this issue is ignored by society.

If I were to mention these occurrences in casual conversation I would be accused of being egotistical and making it all up to make myself look like a "stud" or something. I know this because it has happened to me. So I just keep my mouth shut, forget about it, and go on about my duties. Twice it has been so bad that I have requested, and received, an assignment change for these reasons.

My main point here is that there are sexual issues from both the male and female perspective. Contrary to popular belief, not all men have sex on the mind 24/7, especially when on the job. I personally believe that men are singled out and vilified in our culture, when in actuality both genders have an equal likelihood of performing sexual harassment.

Indonurse

Unhappy Re: What is the Different betwen Male Nurse and Female Nurse in the Ward?

Really...It is very nice discuss ...:frustrated:

Member Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Indonurse View Post
    How is this Post??

Now...What do yo thing?? How Female can Work in Male Ward but Male can't work in Female Ward?? this is unfair, I like to work in Female Ward..is it possible?
    In the United States, there are not "male" wards & "female" wards. The only all-female ward would be a obstetrics/gynecology unit. Otherwise, in all other areas, men & women are usually all on the same unit- in separate rooms, but the same "ward." Male nurses are able to work on an OB/Gyn unit- it's not as common, but it's not "against the rules." Hope that helps.

I'm not saying those things are right it's just been some experiences I have had or have heard other people having. Personally I donot feel there should be any differences between the genders on the job or anywhere else. Women talk just as much sex if not more than men. I thoroughly agree with the fact that a nursing assessment is just that assessing parts of the body & I personally donot have sexual thoughts while on the job. That's not to say everyone is the same.
    The cath comment is just that, a comment, said for both reasons homophobia & the other. I don't think all men think about sex
    24/7 but alot of other people may disagree.

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by Cammer View Post
    Well... why WOULD a male patient prefer a female nurse to insert a catheter? Are you thinking that a male patient would "get off" on having a female nurse insert a tube into his bladder? I don't think so. If he did then he's got some issues way beyond anything we can help him with. I'm sure that some prefer a female nurse because of homophobic issues, but I have been told by several male patients that they prefer another man to do this particular procedure because they have had bad experiences with women performing it. Various reasons come to mind for this, cultural, etc, but from the remarks I have heard made by the patients, and female nurses, I have come to the conclusion that some female nurses are more forceful and rough when doing this.

Just for the record, sexual harassment goes both ways. Over the years I've had quite a few female patients make remarks to me that involved sexual innuendo such as "how often do I get to have you give me a bed bath?" or "I really need some help getting out of these clothes" (said by a patient who is young and very capable of undressing herself). I have even been propositioned for sex a few times. It appears that many female patients have fantasies about being intimately cared for by a nurse of the opposite gender. Based on my experience I would even go so far as to say that it's a common occurrence. I'm sure that the women who are prone to this type of behavior feel that it is more allowable because this issue is ignored by society.

If I were to mention these occurrences in casual conversation I would be accused of being egotistical and making it all up to make myself look like a "stud" or something. I know this because it has happened to me. So I just keep my mouth shut, forget about it, and go on about my duties. Twice it has been so bad that I have requested, and received, an assignment change for these reasons.

My main point here is that there are sexual issues from both the male and female perspective. Contrary to popular belief, not all men have sex on the mind 24/7, especially when on the job. I personally believe that men are singled out and vilified in our culture, when in actuality both genders have an equal likelihood of performing sexual harassment.
    Hey Cam,

Nice post. I have had similar experiences and felt the same way. Sometimes I think it's expected that men would view these encounters as flattering but I never did. Like you, I learned fast to keep my mouth shut. The one time I mentioned being fondled by a patient, the remark made by a female colleague, by the way, was " so, now you know what it feels like". It was as though as a man, I couldn't understand how degrading the experience could be.

I'm sure that many other men can say too, that they frequently are on the receiving end of nonsexual contact that were they to be the ones touching, it would be viewed as inappropriate. I'm an affectionate person so I like being touched in a respectful way. It's sad to say however that like other men, I must be keenly aware of and usually resist reciprocating the touch. I find oddly enough, it's easier for me to touch other men than it is to touch women because it isn't perceived as sexual. In fact, let me share an example of how it can be really powerful. I'm sorry if this pushes some sensitive buttons but there are some things about how men and women are socialized in this country that won't be changing anytime soon. I'm one of those big and strong guys and end up being treated like one most of the time even though I'm really a teddy bear. As such, even if I'm not assigned to him, I'm usually the one asked to mobilize the "big guy" surgical patient. I have a personal training background and done strength training for years so, I do these things very well. Anyway, we all know how unsure and unsteady such patients are but when they see another big guy, they usually relax a little. Excellent body mechanics notwithstanding, it's my size that they see and it's my touch that they feel. When lines, tubes and drains are secured, I get down close and make sure we make eye contact. When the patient finally stands up holding onto me, feeling how sturdy I am, he trusts that he's safe and that he isn't going to be allowed to fall. It's been my experience that while standing or taking those first few steps, they lean in and I think, sometimes hug me. It happens often enough that I have spent some time thinking about why. I wonder if it's a combination of fear and anxiety giving way to trust and relief. There is a powerful dynamic also between two people, especially men, when one is vulnerable to the other and he doesn't get victimized. Regardless, I'm very moved when it happens and consider experiences like this to be the best parts of my job. It's high praise to be trusted so well. I give the same care to my female patients and while gratifying, I don't find the exchange to be as powerful. It's my speculation, but maybe more women are willing or emotionally able to be care receivers. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

R

Quote Originally Posted by Indonurse View Post
    Share your Opinion about that here:

1. In my opinion :

Male staff nurses like to do the dirty jobs like; Dressing, Catherization, etc.

Female staff nurses like to do the simple jobs like : Charting, arranging, etc.
    the truth is the only difference I have ever seen is that not one of my female coworkers has been asked if they were a homosexual.

:frustrated: What gives?:sad:

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by orionseal View Post
    the truth is the only difference I have ever seen is that not one of my female coworkers has been asked if they were a homosexual.

:frustrated: What gives?:sad:
    Right or wrong, I think it's the time honored tradition of sexrole stereotyping. I wonder how many female plumbers, electricians and mechanics get asked if they are lesbians.

R

I wonder if this "issue" will ever come to rest. It seems to be such a novelty to alot of people that a man would ever consider becoming a nurse. Maybe when the older population dies off, then the liberal mind of the younger generation wont make such a big deal of it. It boils down to this, man or woman, you just need to do your job. Nursing duties should not be gender specific. Hey men, lets go lift this heavy patient, because barbie the nurse cant do it. Hey ladies, lets go give Mrs Smith a back massage and stroke her hair, because men aren't sensitive enough to care about her discomfort. See how ridiculous this sounds. Even if the day never comes that nurses are not recognized as a specific gender, but for their ability, I will always make sure that lives will be changed for the better. That is what nursing is all about.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast