Thread: Virgin Islands suggestions?

Virgin Islands suggestions?

I was possibly interested in taking an assignment in the Virgin Islands. Is there anyone who has worked there before that would like to share any info they might have? Curious about what to expect..are travelers well accepted there? What are accomodations like? What island is best? How do you get around(rental cars)? Any helpful tips or info would be appreciated. Thanks. David

Re: Virgin Islands suggestions?

The Virgin Islands is NOT somewhere I would want to go. And that's putting it MILDLY.

If you want the gory details, PM me.....

Stay away! It is not as great as they make it sound.

Am currently in my 10th week of 13 week contract - not what I wanted the job to be. St. Thomas is ok - island time is practiced by ALL! I will finish this contract but don't plan on coming back. Of course, I am working with other nurses that really like the hospital - have extended their contracts and will be coming back. If you like water sports and beaches - which we do - it's a great place on days off. I get tired of being pulled to other units. In my experience, the doctors are not all that keen on travelers and it really gets aggravating! Our accomodtions are ok - nothing spectacular but right on the beach so that is a great thing for us. Make sure the company you come here for provides a car or car allowance. You can rent a car here for $550.00/month or so. All in all it's been a good time - I've had worse contracts on the Mainland!

Hi:
    I did a contract there last year. I cancelled my extension and will not go back. There were serious staffing problems at the hospital. One night I was charge nurse. There were 2 nurses (including myself) for 22 patients. We had no nursing assistants. When I asked the supervisor why we did not have any nursing aides she replied "We didn't schedule any." And she did not try to call anyone in.
    Several of the patients (11 apiece!) that we had were total care. 5 patients were receiving blood transfusions, one had a reaction. Two were having DT's and withdrawals from alcohol and drugs. two patients were combative/assaultive (One of the detox patients plus an advance stage neurosyphilis pt.) Two attempted elopement, one of whom I ran down 3 flights of stairs to attempt to detain.
    One confused patient pulled out his NG tube 4 times and I had to replace it each time. I hated to place restraints on him as I was afraid that we could not adequately monitor him and he would be harmed attempting to get out of the restraints.
    They attempted to send up 3 more patients from ER which I refused despite pressure.
    My NG tube patient managed to get out of restraints and had diarhea (yes, c-diff of course) all over himself, the bed and the floor ( a LOT on the floor).
    At this point I also discovered that we did not have housekeeping. I DID clean the floor and sterilize (took 20 minutes). By this time I had several sickle cell patients screaming for their demerol IV. We had no PCA's. Demerol 50 - 150 IV as often as q1 hour was the standard.
    By morning I felt that we were lucky that no one died. I will NEVER do that again! The nursing supervisor did not even attempt to help. Then the Nursing CEO came to the floor before shift change because someone (I believe ER) had told her that we had a patient lying in his own feces (No, I cleaned him, the bed and the floor) "for a long time". I tendered my resignation that day.

The above was becoming commonplace at Roy Lester Schneider Hosp in St Thomas USVI.
    I suggest that you save your license and your back. Work elsewhere, save money and pay for a vacation in the Virgin Islands.

Just think, You too could find yourself as charge nurse, caring for 11 patients with a census of 22. You too could be charge nurse, floor nurse, nursing assistant and housekeeper for 11 patients.
    Just think about it.

I can only speak of St. Croix.

Stay away...stay very far away. Lots of violence against non-locals.

The cruise ships don't go there anymore. Hess Corp pulled out too.

Try Florida if you really want fun in the sun.