Thread: heparin injections.........????????

heparin injections.........????????

i have a question regarding heparin injections.

here in Australia, we often give heparin injections. the vial says there is 5000 units in 2mL. when u draw the drug into the syringe, the volume is abit more- usually 2.4mL. i was taught to discard the excess to only have 2mL in the syringe. yesturday, i was told by a nurse that you dont discard it.

im confused. my rationale for discarding the excess is that the vial says 5000 units in 2mL. so if i did give 2.3mL, i would be giving an extra 750 units, which is a higher dose.

i was wondering if anyone knew of a reason NOT to discard the extra, and to give the whole 2.3mL volume????

Jess

Re: heparin injections.........????????

The way I understand it there is always a small amount of overfill in an injectable med vial. This allows for drawing up and expelling air, etc. If the vial reads 5000u in 2ml then there's your answer. You don't give the overfill.

I agree with Tom! Most vials & IVPB are overfilled. Always, give only the amount ordered.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Your thinking correct Jess. Follow the directions, the other nurse is wrong. There is often overfill in the vials.:luck:
    Someday you will need to be rescued, whether you realize it or not. Every night be grateful; just in case today was that day.....every day is my day...:39:

thanks. i bought this up with my nurse unit manager, and she said i was right, and we did a survey of nurses in the ward who do this, and we were surprised to see how many nurses DONT discard the extra!!!!!! so some education was needed!

Jess

It's really just like giving any injectable med. Use the concentration info and only give the dose ordered, no matter how it is packaged. Just think of all medications as if you were withdrawing from a multi-dose vial. When you get into critical care and anesthesia meds, even a small amount can be dangerous or, worst case, lethal.