Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Job/New Company

Question New Job/New Company

I have currently been a traveler for about 1 1/2 yrs. I believe it is about time to change companies. I was satisfied with my company in the beginning but everything has gone downhill, esp. the money. I am having a hard time getting contracts until about 3 days before I am supposed to move in. The housing has gotten worse. And as I said the pay is horrible. I am in need of a good recruiter who can get the job done and not have to play phone tag with the hospitals. I currently make $4/hr less than the staff get paid where I am at. I get no weekend diff, no shift diff and no incentive pay when I am called in for call back time. I am considering maybe somewhere around the Lake Tahoe Region (CA side), possibly Thousand Oaks, CA or somewhere in CO. If anyone knows of a good honest recruiting co and a good recruiter, or if you have worked in any of these areas, I would appreciate any info you can give. Because right now, nursing just doesn't seem where it's at anymore!!! Oh and of course Travelers get last pick on days to work, days to ask off and are so looked down on because you aren't 'CORE" staff Thanks Donna:frustrated:

Re: New Job/New Company

Wow Donna... what agency are you with and which hospital is treating you so shabbily?

I am currently working in Northern Arizona and my company is out of Florida. What is the proper way to get out of a contract. I have missed about 3 wks of this contract which should have been up March 13th. Because of the hrs I missed, the company and hospital wanted me to sign on for another 2 wks. I reluctantly agreed although there was nothing ever written, a new contract wasn't drawn up; and I have signed nothing. They have basically taken out a weeks pay for rent from each check I have gotten. I just got over the flu, so I was out for 3 days, so I can expect this check to be half of what it normally would. It's hard going to work when you know that half your paycheck is going to be taken out. My recruiter told me to remind her and I would be reimbursed for all the money that had been taken out. I just want this contract to be over. I was called by the supervisor about a missing med (Percocet) that apparently when I counted there was 17, I took out 2 and there were 15 left. When the nurse either that night or the next night counted there were only 14. So I was told "we aren't accusing you of anything but we just have to be sure" I really feel like my license is in jeopary at this hospital by a lot of people who had rather write people up than do patient care. I have never had this much trouble at a hospital being a traveler in the last year and a half. Am I being too paranoid? I don't trust anyone there and it is really hard to get myself to go to work every night and put 100% into patient care. I have been a nurse for almost 14 yrs and this is getting to be a bit much! Any comments? Donna:firedup:

Member Extraordinaire

What is the name of the company you are with???

Nightengale Nurses. I have been with them 1 1/2 yrs.

Donna

Thanks for sharing what agency you are with. I ended my contract with Medical Solutions because I felt unsafe at my assignment with 6-7 patients per nurse on a tele unit with insulin drips, caradizem drips, heart caths....every room had a fire every day and I just couldn't make it work for me. Acutally I was terminated by the hospital because I ADVOCATED for patients more then they liked I think. I was terrified the agency was going to put the screws to me but they didnt at all. It was Medical solutions, my recruitter was Jim Martin. He treated me with respect and did not charge me for the expensive and I have to say wonderful housing provided to me. I would work for them again in a minute and will try again next fall if they have anything I am interested in. Good Luck to you

Quote Originally Posted by donnarn7994 View Post
    I am considering maybe somewhere around the Lake Tahoe Region (CA side), possibly Thousand Oaks, CA or somewhere in CO. Donna:frustrated:
    For the Lake Tahoe area, and around San fran/Sacramento, try Bryan Healthcare, Kathryn, she pays well plus car allowance. Also try Hospital Support, ask for Mike, he also pay well and will work with you.

I've not have problems with these two. I would be very wary of Kaiser facilities, I have heard horror stories, and I know personally the 2 in Sacramento are awful. Also Mercy General and Mercy/Methodist in Sacramento are dangerous for your license. High turnover rates and with Kisers traveler float first and may float every 4 hrs, regular staff works 8hr shifts.
    Sylvia

Red face Re: New Job/New Company

Thanks for everyone sharing information with me. I did end my contract with the hospital and the agency. I faxed my resignation Monday to the company and my recruiter and apparently no one got the fax because I got a call from 2 people at the agency for my time sheet for last week. So I guess I need to call my recruiter tomorrow and talk with her and let her know all the details of what went on with this hospital. I still have a recruiter that just became part of another company who I am working with. I also have a job I am checking out in Show Low AZ for a seasonal position, eihter 8 wks or 16wks. The pay is excellent and they give you some housing allotment. The job in CO has a starting pay of $27/hr plus 4 hr shift diff for ICU. So I need to find out how much apts are there. It will be really hard to make it on that plus pay all my bills. Plus I have had other agencies call. So I know things will work out. I just pray and ask God to place me in the best place and position I need to be. Again, thanks everyone.

Donna

I have been talking to Nightingale nurse and have been thinking about traveling with them. It sounds as if you do not recomend them. What does every body else think about them?
    By the way i live in Cincinnati and havw grown up here and worked in the area since early 90s. If anybody has any questions about the area or hospitals I would be most willing to tell you what I know.

Who was your recruiter?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast