Thread: Question!!!

Question Question!!!

Hi I already introduced myself to the board in the other forum but I have a question. I love babies and would love to work in the maternity ward of the hospital. I know I have to get my bachelors in nursing and become a registered nurse. But I'm not sure what happens after that, do I pursue a career in pediatric nursing or is there a special nurse just for the maternity ward. If any one could help me with this topic I would really appreciate it.

Re: Question!!!

There are some hospitals that have the babies seperate from the mother but that does not provide baby only contact. There are pediactric units in some hospitals but you would care for children not just babies, children up to age 18normally. Also there is the NICU butthatis intensive care. You could try some websites that explain different nursing specialties, and check the hospitals that you would be interested in.

Re: Question!!!

it depends where you are from.

here in Australia, you do a 3 year degree at uni to become a registered nurse. you dont have to have extra qualifications to work in paeds or maternity, however you are more likely to get a job if you do.

after you become a RN, you need to do 1 yrs experience in a clinical area, then you can go back to uni and get ur diploma in midwifery, which is a 1 yr course here. you can also do other diplomas and certificates in paeds subjects to get more qualifications. this will help you get a job in paeds or maternity.