Thread: Thinking....hard

Thinking....hard

Hi all! I am a single mom of three beautiful children. I want to futher my education. I was enrolled in criminal justice for about a year. I realized it was not taking me where I really wanted to be. I am now, as always, thinking of becoming a LPN. I, however, am scared to death. I do not like to hurt people and bodily fluids and I do NOT get along. Since I was little the medical field has always amazed me. I am determined to do this. Any advice on getting over the "fear" would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Barbara

Re: Thinking....hard

Let me give you some advice. The FEAr that you will endure will not be from the needles and vomit. It will be from the diress and misery you will encompass from how nurses are treated ( Modern Day Slaves), labor squabbles, power tripping, and beaurocracies. I would wipe elbows and boo-boos at an elementary school for $15 an hour. That is the only happy nurse I have ever seen in my life. But thats just my little ole opinion.

to get through clinicals you have to encounter the stuff you fear. it's just like ripping off a band aid or jumping into cold water. just do it.

Member Extraordinaire

I don't know what diress is but have never sufferred duress either in several years of nursing. Hopefully the little hurt you inflict with help the patient. The goal is helping.

Red face Re: Thinking....hard

Quote Originally Posted by LPNWannaB
    Hi all! I am a single mom of three beautiful children. I want to futher my education. I was enrolled in criminal justice for about a year. I realized it was not taking me where I really wanted to be. I am now, as always, thinking of becoming a LPN. I, however, am scared to death. I do not like to hurt people and bodily fluids and I do NOT get along. Since I was little the medical field has always amazed me. I am determined to do this. Any advice on getting over the "fear" would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Barbara
    You have to look at this in a different perspective. I have been a RN since the early 1990's and still to this day I do not like causing any patient pain. You have to remember that the pain that might endure now is only temporary and what you are doing is for the benefit of the patient.

I can not think of many nurses that are thrilled at the sight of vomit, sputum, urine, or fecal material. These are all a part of life.

There is nothing more satisfying than running into a former patient out in public that tells you how grateful they were for the care they received from you. It is nice to know that you made a positive impact on a person's life.

Now to this very day if one of my twins are sick or injred and have to get stitches, a shot, or an IV... this is something that bothers me, and I still get weak knees and a bit teary eyed

you will be fine. i have not overcome my thing w/ trach care but i am just gonna keep at it and i know in due time that too i will overcome. i think all nurses have fear but making sure the patient is healthy and safe is most important and it outweighs everything else. if the patient is dirty concentrate on cleaning them up, sick concentrate on getting them better, if you do that you won't have time to think of anything else.