Thread: Some Strategy from a Diversion Graduate!!!

Exclamation Some Strategy from a Diversion Graduate!!!

Hi everyone..I am a graduate from the CA diversion program 2 years out. Wow, I am blown away reading all this stuff on ETG and all the "incidentals"!:mad: It seems that when I started out in Diversion it was not that difficult, if you can even call it that now. I remember testing and being worried that somehow, somewhere, even though I was 100% compliant always, that I would test positive because the lab "mixed up my urine with someone else's" or something crazy like that. But if I were to have to worry about the ETG factor I would have definitely been a basket case. The program itself is very rigorous indeed but the threat of the "ETG factor" almost makes me think of the "color coded threat barometer" the goverment uses for terrorist alerts! Diversion nurses are always on "red plus"! :confused: From reading the postings it seems that alot of people are really spending alot of time and effort researching and looking for evidence to help their cause. I know it seems that it is the right thing to do, to find evidence and facts to help support you if you test "incidental", but honestly, I think it is futile. The board members are a fickle group. I think they do have the best intentions and really do want everyone to succeed, but I don't think that it really matters to them at all. I feel, as a diversion graduate (in 3 years) the best strategy in this "Diversion game" is to learn the game itself. Don't get me worng, of course I am grateful for my recovery and it honestly did change my life and I am doing excellent, but recovery from drugs and alcohol and changing your life is TOTALLY separate from the diversion program itself. I believe that is the key...LEARN THE GAME. If the game is not eating or using ANYTHING that MAY make you test positive, then do that. If the game is ACCEPTING whatever the board throws at you and figuring out how to HANDLE that, then do that. The "diversion game" is the art of playing what will take you from point A to point B. Now recovery and changing your life should always be the priority and if you stay clean and sober then "the game" should come easily, but it takes time. Everyones' rules are different based on their own needs and personality, but they are obtainable. Even if it seems impossible and fultile, it can be done. Just teach yourself HOW YOU NEED TO DO IT AND LEARN HOW! And remember, you can NEVER teach the board anything, they have their own rules, so don't waste your time. Don't try to challenge them, you will never win. Just tell them what they want to hear (which doesn't mean not following your program, because that is separate, remember?). I just wanted to put in my two cents and hopefully this can help at least one person make it through the game of diversion.

Signed,
    A grateful diversion graduate

p.s. the "telling them what they want to hear" was one of my rules of the game!

Re: Some Strategy from a Diversion Graduate!!!

I have to agree with the "learn the game" attitude. Contrary to what many may believe there are those of us who were accused and were completely innocent. I endured being beaten and abused by a significant other (husband who was a COP state police officer, come on) and after suffering surgery due to broken bones etc.......was told I was "impaired"!!!! This was within 2 weeks of the abuse coming to light to my supervisor (male unit manager at UK Burn Center and a Jacarse named Dennis ) it easier to say OMG she's impaired!! MD from that very facility placed me on Prozac and Dyserel, then OMG, what can we do to help!! Instead I was suspended, then fired, then suspended by boards. Guess what my "Agreed order" states "Misappropriation of medication" for giving Mylanta in lieu of Maalox!!! Yet I still had to do 2 years of "drug screens, mulitple psychological screening, you name it!!! Come on ......Maalox and Mylanta make me a drug abuser!!! All out of my pocket of which when fired I had no health insurance. Guess what all cost was by those who the Board recommended!!! When I go to interviews and my licensure is permanently marked I am lucky if they even want to read the order. When they do they look at me like """ WTF""" it is embarrasing and yet this is exactly what the KYBON did!! I learned long ago the BON's follow what will keep thier asses out of trouble and screw the rest of us. Yep believe me I had to learn to "play the game".

Quote Originally Posted by Pdoffnputout
    I have to agree with the "learn the game" attitude. Contrary to what many may believe there are those of us who were accused and were completely innocent. I endured being beaten and abused by a significant other (husband who was a COP state police officer, come on) and after suffering surgery due to broken bones etc.......was told I was "impaired"!!!! This was within 2 weeks of the abuse coming to light to my supervisor (male unit manager at UK Burn Center and a Jacarse named Dennis ) it easier to say OMG she's impaired!! MD from that very facility placed me on Prozac and Dyserel, then OMG, what can we do to help!! Instead I was suspended, then fired, then suspended by boards. Guess what my "Agreed order" states "Misappropriation of medication" for giving Mylanta in lieu of Maalox!!! Yet I still had to do 2 years of "drug screens, mulitple psychological screening, you name it!!! Come on ......Maalox and Mylanta make me a drug abuser!!! All out of my pocket of which when fired I had no health insurance. Guess what all cost was by those who the Board recommended!!! When I go to interviews and my licensure is permanently marked I am lucky if they even want to read the order. When they do they look at me like """ WTF""" it is embarrasing and yet this is exactly what the KYBON did!! I learned long ago the BON's follow what will keep thier asses out of trouble and screw the rest of us. Yep believe me I had to learn to "play the game".

Wow...what a bummer that you had to go through all of that. I hope my posting doesn't make anybody think that Diversion is all bull**** and not telling the truth is the key, it's just a matter of getting it through it the best way for you. I realized it never helped ANYONE to challenge, argue or even explain any non compliance issue. It never helped anyone I knew in the years I was in diversion. When things came my way, and I worked at never letting it get to that point, I did my best to NOT LET ME SUFFER by getting pissed off, irritated or even think about hiring a lawyer! I mean haven't we suffered enough? I would just try to deal with it, even if I knew I was right, and move on. Sometimes I think a big part of diversion is luck as well. Will I get a call today or will I not? So, everyone, hang in there, stay clean & sober and just try to get through these few years, and they really are just a few when you look back, and get used to some faceless people controlling your lives. As a matter fact I don't remember Vicodin ever having a face and it sure as hell controlled my life for many years!!

I am also a graduate of Diverson. What does ETG mean?:confused:

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Evidently Etg came around after you graduated diversion. It's the by-product of a metabolite of Alcohol which appears in the urine up 5 days following ingestion of alcohol. It was touted as the gold standard of testing for monitoring programs. The problem is Etg is also produced with exposure to other alcohol based products especially cleaning products, waterless hand soaps etc. Many people are being remanded back into inpatient treatment based on these tests. Even though the test has proven unreliable the BON's are not budging on the use of this test. While I do believe that some people with positive etg did drink. I also know a large number (5 in my nurse support group including myself) who have had low level ETG's who have not been drinking. Your probably lucky to graduate when you did!

You make some very good points about diversion. Early on My AA sponsor told me to remember that diversion was "NOT MY RECOVERY". Staying sober is the easy part. Jumping through diversion hoops is difficult. You really do have to tell them what they want to hear. And make sure you can talk the talk with regard to AA lingo. They love that.

I was highly resistant to AA but was willing to do "whatever it took" to get sober and save my license. I hated every minute of the first meetings I went to, but somewhere around day 60 of my 90/90 something clicked and I took the cotton out of my ears and stuck it in my mouth. I am happy to say that I have been sober over 2 years and learning to live a life without resentment has helped me achieve a life I never dreamed possible.

Peace and Namaste

Hppygr8ful