Thread: What would you do?

Anonymous

What would you do?

Hi there,

I graduated nursing school this year and passed boards. However due to unforeseen circumstances I can’t work immediately. I am afraid that when I do start work I will have forgotten all that I learned. Any advice on what I should do?

Anonymous

Re: What would you do?

Hello, I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you as I will be starting school this fall, pursuing an assoc degree in Nursing. I was wondering if a new grad such as yourself might have any advice or tips you learned along the way for a beginner. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Re: What would you do?

You absolutely will NOT forget what you have learned. As a new grad, you know a lot, but not everything. Not even experienced nurses know everything. You do, however, know where to look to find answers. Let us say that you start working a year from now, and you must administer a unit of whole blood. You are unsure of how to do this. Now think of a nurse with 10 yrs experience starting work in a new hospital. She must also give a unit of blood. You are both at the same place. You must both go the the policy and procedure manual located on your unit to ensure proper admin. within the P&P parameters of that facility. Every facility is different, and every nurse new or experienced must learn their facilities P&P. So, you see, it is not unusual--in fact it is proper practice--to use these reference materials. You could also routinely review your school books and notes.