Thread: Just Starting

Just Starting

Hello Everyone,

Im 32 and would like to become a male nurse. I have registered at my local community college to take some classes. I have a full time job and will be going to school at night. I'm pretty much a freshman. I just want to know how much longer would I be able to hold on to a full time job and pursue a Nursing Degree? Also once I get my associates do I start to work at a hospital or do I continue on with my education? I would like to become a RN. Please Advise. Thanks Forum.:confused:

Re: Just Starting

Quote Originally Posted by Dham
    Hello Everyone,

Im 32 and would like to become a male nurse. I have registered at my local community college to take some classes. I have a full time job and will be going to school at night. I'm pretty much a freshman. I just want to know how much longer would I be able to hold on to a full time job and pursue a Nursing Degree? Also once I get my associates do I start to work at a hospital or do I continue on with my education? I would like to become a RN. Please Advise. Thanks Forum.:confused:
    Remaining employed while going to school depends on how well the two schedules are compatible.

Once you have completed your ADN program & passed NCLEX, then you can start to work at a hospital. Plus, you can also continue on with your education at the same time. Many online RN-BSN programs exist.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Re: Just Starting

In Nevada where I am studying, there is a nurse apprentice which is recognized by the state nursing act. You can start as soon as you finish the first semester. These jobs are specifically programed to work around a school schedule and you get to put into practice what you have learned in the program right away.

Other states call the position by other names, but I understand that as many as 24 states have these types of positions in their nursing act.