Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suboxne?

Question Suboxne?

I'm thinking about trying suboxne to kick my addiction to dilaudid. Questions: Can anyone tell me about it , does it work? Is it really trading on addiction for another or is it like quitting smoking and becoming addicted to the patch? Also, does it show up in UA's. If I start it will my employer find out thru UA's. I'm a nurse that hasn't been caught using yet....because I don't get high at work or divert but that is coming I know.....if I don't quit now. I use about 30mg dilaudid every6-8 hours depending on if I'm working or not. Any info on suboxne would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks and god bless you all in recovery!! Your in my prayers!:confused:

Re: Suboxne?

hi,
    I am not an addict, but my son was. I am a nurse and just saw your post. My son was a heroin addict and then later became addicted to methadone (which was given for an injury not maintenance) and then he went from that to fentanyl patches. He started Suboxone several months ago, and has been tapering off very slow. He is down to 0.25 mg qd. I think the trick to the suboxone is not to stay on it for a very long time. You use it for detox and the slowly taper off. I have read where people stay on it for years and of course then it is a problem. He seems to be doing pretty well with it even on this dose, so we will see when it ends in about 2 weeks i think. He has not abused or try to abuse this med so thats good. Give it a try, good luck

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Re: Suboxne?

Suboxone is an opiate receptor blocker . So what it does is close the receptors that the dilaudid you take attaches to. It does not make you high but because it fills the gaps in the pleasure center of the brain you don't detox with all the pain and illness of standard detox. I know a lot of people who have pretty god success with it but it is hard in the liver so you should have your LFT's checked before you start it. Another new drug called Campral is supposed to work great - clinical studies in Europe have been very favorable, plus it seems to help with obsessive compulsive behaviors common to many addicts.

I think the trick is to get detoxed over say 10 to 14 days and then slowly taper off. There is no direct evidence that suboxone is addictive in and off itself BIG THING to remember is that detox and recovery are two very different things without follow-up such as a in-patient, out patient program and AA/NA attendance many relapse frequently. Getting the drugs and cravings out of your system is the easy part. Addressing the issues that led and continue to lead you to use is the really difficult part.

My suggestion , Which would keep the Board out of it for now is to tell your work you need a leave of absence - get a dual diagnosis such as depression with substance abuse so you can qualify for disability and take 30 or 60days to get yourself cleaned up and good foundation in recovery. Most insurance will cover in-patient Detox and out patient follow-up. And your employer doesn't need to know (just yet) about your problem. Later it will become important for you to be open about your addiction but that's all in good time.

As for showing up in Urine suboxone will not show up as an opiate in your urine.

Finally where are you getting all this dilaudid? If you are diverting it from work it's only a matter of time before you are caught ( This I know from personal experience) then you are in for a real Sh-T storm. There's no crime in admitting you need help. But it is a crime to work under the influence so it would be best to tell your employer something and get help soon. If I can offer you any support please don't hesitate to contact me here!

Peace and Namaste

Hppygr8ful
    Happy, sober and free for 23 months and 4 days.

Wink Re: Suboxne?

Quote Originally Posted by KKRN1014
    I'm thinking about trying suboxne to kick my addiction to dilaudid. Questions: Can anyone tell me about it , does it work? Is it really trading on addiction for another or is it like quitting smoking and becoming addicted to the patch? Also, does it show up in UA's. If I start it will my employer find out thru UA's. I'm a nurse that hasn't been caught using yet....because I don't get high at work or divert but that is coming I know.....if I don't quit now. I use about 30mg dilaudid every6-8 hours depending on if I'm working or not. Any info on suboxne would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks and god bless you all in recovery!! Your in my prayers!:confused:
    Sorry I just read through your post again and see you are not diverting- That's good. I might add that diversion did save my life but I wouldn't wish it on anyone as it's a big headache and even with a strong recovery program I'll start my third year in September. Best avoid the headace if you can!

Smile Re: Suboxne?

Thanks for the responses, Happy, as you can read now, I am not diverting -yet- however , I'm not stupid , I know that will come if I don't get clean now. As far as telling anyone about my use, I will tell the people I need to tell to help with my recovery. I do not , however see the BON or my employer as any of those people. All i see the BON doing is harrassing me unnecessary especially if i'm in recovery already and doing well. I don't get high at work, I work PRN so can take off when I want to. My addiction is interferring with my job because, since I don't get high at work, I end up taking off alot and losing money that way. Thanks for all the great info about suboxne, I did call a Doc today to make an appointment to start treatment. Just waiting for his call back......I will keep you updated if interested.

Smile Re: Suboxne?

I think your decision to not involve your employer or the BON is a good one - Since you work Per diem you can proably take time off when you need too. I went voluntarily into Diversion and though it saved my life in more ways than one - it's been a real headache- dealing with what the BON calles "Monitored Recovery" The thing is that I volunteered and once in you can't really unvolunteer. So now I just chockm it up as another of life's lessons and a task I have to finish on my way through recovery.

Please feel free to stop by my webgroup for medical professionals in recovery

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...s_in_Recovery/

Peace and Namaste

Hppygr8ful

Unhappy Starting recovery

Finally I found someone who is going to help me with detoxing without the BON finding out. I took leave from work so I can focus on me and avoid any harm to my patients. I start detoxing on friday and I"m scared to death about the withdrawls and of course I'm already making up excuses as to why I need to wait until another day. I would appreciate any prayers out there.
    Thanks.

Question Student Nurse question re. this topic

OK - what in the hell is the difference between "diverting" and "diversion?" As I am new to all this I am just trying to figure it all out. It seems like "diverting" would be taking rx from pts? Like injecting them with saline and keeping the real stuff for yourself? Or just giving the pt half and keeping the rest for yourself? But the talk about "diversion" sounds like it is a good thing. So just trying to figure out all the lingo. We are having a special class on 'The Chemically Addicted Nurse' next week and I thought this info might be helpful for me - thanks for any clarification!
    PS - I had a pt last week who told me every time one certain nurse gave her a "pain shot" (as she called it - which I looked on the chart and saw was demerol) it burned. But only this one nurse. And she said this nurse always said she was complaining of pain when she wasn't even asking for meds. Like "aren't you in pain? don't you need some medicine?" Is this diverting? By the way - I reported this to my instructor, have no idea what she did with this info.

One more ?

Oh yeah - what is a BON? I've heard of DON (Director of Nursing) at several hospitals where I've worked - but no BON. Maybe it is just a regional thing - just wondering. Thanks!

Re: To RNinMay07

Diverting is an illegal act that some inpaired nurses commit in order to get the drugs to which they are addicted. Basically it's stealing drugs and taking them. Once a nurse is discovered to be impaired they have few options one is to quit their job and do nothing which usually results in the revocation of one's license, go into a diversion program in which you get addiction treatment (you pay for it), Attend a required number of AA/NA meetings, submit to random body fluid testing all this for a period of 3-5 years. You are also usually taken off work for 6-10 months in the beginning then gradually allowed to return to work first in non-patient care, then patient care then with drug access etc...If you stay sober and sucessfully complete the program any record of your addiction/offense is stricken from your record and you get to keep your liscense. The third option is to continue what you are doing and wait for enforcement/probation to cath you. Then your liscense has a permanent blemish even if you stay sober.

The BON or the BRN is the Board of registered nursing in whatever state you practice.

I hope this helps clear things up if you would like to know more about nurses in recovery please don't hesitate to contact me here as I will be happy to share my experience strength and hope with anyone who needs it.

Peace and namaste

Hppygr8ful
    1 year and 51 weeks happy sober and free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast