Thread: NEW LVN STUDENT...a lil frustrated!!;)

NEW LVN STUDENT...a lil frustrated!!;)

HI everyone!

I am currently about to begin my classes for the LVN program at Central Texas College and I am a little frustrated because I feel like I have been wasting so much time. I have already completed all my pre reqs for the ADN program and have waited to long on the waiting list. (I have a 3.0 GPA and did great on the Net) and finally decided to just go by way of LPN then bridge. I am just so annoyed that none of my A&P I & II, psychology and life span psych., General Bio, and so on count for nothing. I am praying that they will call me with an opening for the ADN program before school starts in Sept. Right now I have two small children and am tired of waiting around. My husband is overseas in Iraq on contract doing what he can to support us untill I finish school so I am praying this goes fast. Does anyone know the pay scale for LPN?:eek:

Vicki

Smile Re: NEW LVN STUDENT...a lil frustrated!!;)

Hi my name is Amanda and i know where you are coming from. I decided to go through a vocational school that was a year long program to get my LVN and then brige over. I thought it would be easier if i had my foot in the door. I have three young kids under the age of 5, and started the LVN program two weeks postpartum with my third child. I enroll through Concorde Career Ins. and a year later I am a LVN. Just took my boards. It can be done and you will already have your foot in the door. Best of luck to you!!!

Lightbulb Re: NEW LVN STUDENT...a lil frustrated!!;)

HI!

Have you looked into any bridge programs yet? I hear from some you have to have a year experience first, and I hope not because I plan to work while I bridge. Best of Luck 2 you too!!

Vicki:o

Re: NEW LVN STUDENT...a lil frustrated!!;)

Hi there. I'm an LVN student who's just finishing my program up. I live in east Texas. The pay scale over here ranges from $14-$22/hr. The higher numbers are closer to Dallas, and they're pretty rare. Most of the places that I've looked at that pay better for LVNs are nursing homes.

I felt the same way as you when I started my LVN class -- and even more so now! I was frustrated because I have all of my classes for a Bachelor's, but couldn't get into an ADN program -- and my GPA's not bad. So taking the LVN road really has been the best route. And with your income being of more importance, it's probably best that you do LVN-to-ADN because it means that you'll be able to work while you bridge.

Whatever you do, don't consider the LVN a waste of time. If you weren't in that program, you'd just be waiting to hear back from an ADN program, so it works out on way or another. You're working towards a goal. And those classes that you took aren't going to waste. They'll be there whenever you go back to school for your ADN. They will also help you get through your LVN school! Having that extra info is NOT a bad thing, trust me.

Best of luck!
    C.

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonsgal78 View Post
    HI!

Have you looked into any bridge programs yet? I hear from some you have to have a year experience first, and I hope not because I plan to work while I bridge. Best of Luck 2 you too!!

Vicki:o
    Most bridge programs have an extra form or something for you to fill out if it you're a transition nurse with no experience. The school I'm going to has one, and it's got questions about your grades and attendance in LVN school, and your number of attempts on the NCLEX-PN ... things like that.

I realize that this is an older thread, but I want to encourage you a bit. I'm just beginning LVN school this fall, but will use the prereqs you mentioned for the LVN-RN program. I've chosen this direction as it's near me and the ADN program is not.

I'm 51 and took dental assisting courses right out of high school. I still remember so much of the allied health info. It will help me although I never worked as a da. I'd never consider education as wasted time. I'm sounding like a mom, I know. LOL!