Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any advice?

Any advice?

I'm returning to school in the fall to pursue a career in nursing. I'm 33, a former marine, and currently a carpenter. When I finally convinced myself that a career change was in order I settled on nursing after visiting my father in the hospital after he had a tumor(benign) removed from his lungs. It was nice knowing there were people there that cared and I had to admit that it did look like an interesting,exciting job. It didn't hurt that my mom, sister-in-law, and several aunts are nurses. Must have rubbed off some.

As it stands right now, I start volunteering at the hospital in a couple weeks and start classes in the fall at the community college. It made the most sense to start there due to the cost and since all my credits are too old to transfer now. After a year I plan on transferring to a local college that has a BSN program that looks really good.

Since the GI Bill won't cover all my costs I'll have to work while in school. I would like to find an entry level job in the medical/support field to start gaining what experience I can. What courses should I take first and what department should I volunteer in with this in mind? I plan on starting in the main volunteer office helping with discharges until I learn the layout of the hospital and then volunteering in the ER afterward.

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Any advice?

I would get a job as a nurse assistant or student nurse extern on any floor for experience. I think you can get the most experience to start on a busy med/surg floor where you have to learn to organize your time and have a wide variety of patients.

Member Extraordinaire

also forgot to add. Many hospitals have programs where they will pay for your nursing schooling if you work for them while in school then agree to work for a year or 2 after you get out so find a hospital you might like to stay at get the nurse assistant job and then let them foot the bill

Will it sure is nice to see a fellow former Marine going into Nursing. I was a Parachute rigger. Not much call for that here in the world. If you would have told me 15 years ago I was going to be a nurse, I would have thought you were full of ..it. But this has been the best career (Second only to the Corps ou-rah!)I have endeavored.
    Get a aid or secretary job in a critical care area at a hospital that has an nursing education program. You will learn alot OJT. But as another person said, they have programs where you can go to school free. You must sign a contract to work with that hospital when you graduate. Some other hospitals may even by out the contract so you can work some place else. Trust me, their hungry for nurses, there are ways to get your educatin for FREE.
    Good luck Marine.

Anonymous

To both of ya Semper Fi.. My son has one more year on his second tour.. How do I get him to stay in????

WR,,, three commas for Becca

He'd never in a million years be a nurse.. He faints..

I have 7.5 years USMC active duty, 2 years USMC reserve time. Then went into the National Guard and became a Officer (in ordinance)Have a total of 2.5 years active duty, and 10 years part time (National Guard) I will have a nice retirement at age 60 plus tricare for life (GOOD medical insurance). The unit I retired from 3 years ago is in Iraq at this time. I am too dam old for war.

Retirement income and health care is what your son has to think about. As nurses we have seen this problem all to often with our elderly patients. no cash for needed meds.

Anonymous

Well the NSA is thinking of making his job a civilian job so I think that would be quite secure and lucrative. Now if the Corps offers him Gunny I wonder what he will do..He is a non com and will always be. No desire to be an officier.

The name's changed but I will always be WindingRoad

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to you when you have forgotten how it goes.

Semper Fi to all the Marines here! The hospital where I will be volunteering at does offer tuition reimbursement. I plan on staying in the area and they have several campuses so I'm definately going to try to get my foot in the door. Thanks for the advice.

Anonymous

You're welcome. We need more men in the field.. I really would rather work with men... How come you guys never bitch?

The name's changed but I will always be WindingRoad

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to you when you have forgotten how it goes.

For few of us it is, "Lets get the job done." If there is a problem, give a viable solution. Most people that bitch are part of the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast