Thread: new tests at work

Member Extraordinaire

new tests at work

Ok guess what my hospital has decided to test everyone on for our "Competency". They have printed up huge packets to pass out so you can "review" how to do the following.
    handwashing
    using lift
    restraints (this is yearly)
    proper lifting (yearly also)
    and many many more. The handwashing is the best though. We have to go to the classroom and demonstrate proper handwashing. There is a policy for it even. #1 turn on water and adjust temperature. #2 Apply soap and on and on and there is a checklist for it. Is this stupid or what???
    Stay tuned for the next question I have.
    Ruth

Re: new tests at work

Omigawd... Ok, I've heard that "we're growing older" and the average age of the practing nurse is now 45 or older, BUT, do they really think we get senile already at that age or something???? Instead of "competency" it sounds like they're checking mental acuity levels! hahahahhahaaa..... and to think they get paid more $$ than clinical staff to come up with brainstorms like those.. yikes..

We have about 20 hospital competencies, and a pot lode of unit competencies. But we doent have hand washing yet. I hope none of out staff educators see your post.

I think this has become mandatory from the accreditating powers

Member Extraordinaire

well I took all of my tests today and I passed. I do know how to wash my hands....
    Here is one we have now. When a doc gives a telephone order we have to repeat it (that's nothing new) but we can't write RTO (repeated telephone order) now we have to write RPO (repeated phone order) I think telephone is the more formal what if I was to get on a megaphone and yell down to his office would that not be a repeated phone order??? huh huh??? getting a little tired of some major stupid stuff.