Thread: O, What to do...

O, What to do...

Hello everyone, I'm a 22 y/o Male and finished a Associate degree in information systems...
    I've been a cashier for 3 years, and worked in the technical area for 3 years while getting my degree.
    I've learned that I don't want a desk job, I don't like the idea of working 9-5 everyday like everyone else. I have learned I'm too much of a softheart to go into Management or Sales, and I've learned that I don't like working with computers as much as I though.

I just want to know if this sounds like the type that could make it in the nursing area, as I plan on starting the AS / RN in nursing this fall. Any input would be Helpfull.. thanks

Anonymous

Re: O, What to do...

I don't see why not.. And if you decide you don't want or like bedside nursing you could go into Informatics.

Many people don't realize that you can help patients from behind the scenes.. Helping nurses work smarter, better and more efficiently gives them time to spend with patient's.

WR,,, three commas for Becca

I am gonna go check on a site and I'll post it back to you..

BTW I didn't mean you couldn't be a good nurse at the bedside..Just thought you might be thinking about combining your skills.

Check out this site.. www.ania.org

WHy not try volunteering @ a nursing home or hospital for a few hours so that you can get an idea of what it's like?

I forgot all the advantages of nursing....although there are probably just as many disadvantages....maybe you should read the rest of the threads in this forum...
    You can go to work almost anywhere anmost any time.
    Most places that I've been both on the east coast and
    mid-west work 12 hour shifts...that means 3 days/week vs 5.
    As a general rule, nursing is a stable job...although there have been lay offs.
    Shift work can be both an advantage or disadvantage. I worked 7 pm- 7 am for 15 years while my son was in school. He never came home to an empty house. I was room mother every year as I was one of the few mothers who was able to.
    I love nursing, yes it can be the pits, stressful, hard, but so rewarding....you actually help people!

Hope some of this helps!