Thread: Interview Day

Thumbs up Interview Day

Just wanted to know if anyone had there interviews for nursing school as yet?Well i had mine on tuesday.Keeping my fingers crossed but not too hopeful since there were people there that were alot more qualified than i was and there are only 60 spaces for over 300 applicants.Well wish me luck anyway.Bye.

Re: Interview Day

Hi Tigress,

Competition is gearing up for nursing programs. The word is out that it is lucrative, in high demand and extremely transferable.

Each year, up to 25% of qualified nursing in BSN programs are being turned away. The stats are probably much higher for ADN, Diploma programs.

My advice is to apply to as many programs as feasible keeping in mind the waiting lists. Take the fastest route to a nursing license. I prefer an "RN" over an "LPN" because it pays more, opens more doors later. However, if it is a choice of an LPN or a two year waiting list for an RN, I'd take the LPN then go back.

If you've got an LPN/RN license, you can literally find work in almost any state in the US and beyond. The nursing shortage is a global phenomenon.

Knowing that, it will be interesting to see how many nurses stay in the field once they've graduated and find out what real nursing is like. Many nurses quit the field within the first five years, or at least leave the bedside.

I wrote an article you may find interesting on the topic:
    Nursing, Not For Everyone, Not For Most People, by Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.lopez1.com/lopez/nurses.v...pez.andrew.htm

Wish you luck on getting into a program.

Hope that is helpful to you.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    Nursing Associations, Degree Programs Online, Jokes, Schools, Scrubs & More
    http://www.4nursing.com

Member Extraordinaire

There are going to be 43students in the class I'll be teaching clinicals for this fall. There will be 4 clinical sites so I'll have 10 or 11 in my group where I've had 8-9 every other class. I hope there is enough to keep all of my students busy this is the last semester and pretty stressful for them.

Quote Originally Posted by tigress_8207
    Just wanted to know if anyone had there interviews for nursing school as yet?Well i had mine on tuesday.Keeping my fingers crossed but not too hopeful since there were people there that were alot more qualified than i was and there are only 60 spaces for over 300 applicants.Well wish me luck anyway.Bye.
    I wanted to find out how your interview went and if you heard whether you had been accepted into nursing school. I do not remember having to interview for nursing school. I just knew I would be accepted into nursing school, pass all my classes and clinicals then pass my nursing boards. Thinking positive is very important. Nursing instructors have a knack for sensing self doubt and lack of self confidence. A bit of self confidence , self discipline and pride can open many a door

Late reply [8/10/06]...

Tigress 8207 - Did you get accepted? I hope so!

It is ashame there are not more nursing programs/instructors. IMHO, the real shortage is in fact lack of nursing instructors &/or programs.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

I remember reading about this phenomena in nursing school and I graduated in 2002 with my RN. It said that the real problem would occur when there were not enough qualified instructors for the influx of students. It appears to have happened sooner than anticipated. And considering the percentage of students who, for one reason or another, do not graduate, it makes sense that the nursing shortage is bound to be a problem for a while yet. I lucked out, and got in, just under the wire, starting classes in 2000; no waiting list, no interview. Just had to pass the pre-test and score high enough in math to get into ADN. "Oh, the times, they are a'changin".

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedNurse
    I remember reading about this phenomena in nursing school and I graduated in 2002 with my RN. It said that the real problem would occur when there were not enough qualified instructors for the influx of students. It appears to have happened sooner than anticipated. And considering the percentage of students who, for one reason or another, do not graduate, it makes sense that the nursing shortage is bound to be a problem for a while yet. I lucked out, and got in, just under the wire, starting classes in 2000; no waiting list, no interview. Just had to pass the pre-test and score high enough in math to get into ADN. "Oh, the times, they are a'changin".
    The only thing constant ...is change.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN