Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visible Tattoos

Visible Tattoos

I was wondering what the general thought on visible tattoos are in the healthcare workplace? I have a rather large tattoo on the inside of my left forearm, and didn't know if this would be a hindrance in the nursing field or not? Sorry if this seems silly to some people, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately, as I plan on going back to school soon. Thanks !

Re: Visible Tattoos

I am a nurse who works in the PICU, and I am also a retired U.S. Marine Master Gunnery Sgt. who has tattoos up and both arms and everywhere else. It has been my experience that most families and patients look more at the quality of care you provide and the manner in which you treat them. I have not had a negative experience due to my tattoos.

please spare us your tattoos. people might not approach you about it but it´s likely because they feel intimidated by your looks. stay low key, and it will earn you much respect.

Ink, rings, and facial fur

Although I find tattoos interesting and sexy from a personal perspective, I know people who equate tattoos with deviance. My buddy in nursing school has both arms fully inked, but is made to wear a long-sleeve shirt under his scrubs to keep 'em covered. I'd rather have a person with visible tattoos who knows what they're doing than no ink coupled with no competence.

I think in part the tattoo rule in nursing school is discrimination against men, cuz most of the visible tattoos are on guys (most women I know with tattoos have them placed more discretely, but that's just my experience). It's just like how "no ring but a wedding ring" discriminates against single people and people who are not legally allowed to marry. Also, "facial hair must be neatly trimmed" is a matter of judgment. One man's "neatly trimmed" is another man's "not worth having."

No real problems yet

The biggest obstacle I find about being a Male nursing student with visible tatoos on my arms is that I get asked what they mean infinity times a day. Otherwise it has not helped nor hindered my experiences thus far, and I'm able to excel just fine.

Dont let it stop you.

I am a female student nurse 4th semester. I have tattoos on my wrists, Lt.arm (one) and back of my neck. First semester I was really freaked out because I was the only one in my class with this issue. Well first semester I wore a strategically placed watch around one wrist and a bandage aroung the other and I wore a high back white t-shirt under my uniform. I had more of an issue with the instructors about this. I was completly compliant. After they got to know me and my competence they really didnt care about my tattoos and neither do my patients. Sometimes I get teased by the charge nurses but thats it. I run into MANY tattooed healthcare workers. There is a gentleman who works in radiology that has a tattoo on his adams apple. Okay not attractive but he is not unemployed because of it. I think how you carry yourself is what gets across to people. You can be tattooless and still come across deviant. And as for the person who stated we should spare her/him our tattoos...........they are kind of permanent and I am not going to wear a long sleeve turtleneck in order to make people feel more comfortable.

Who even sees the tats anymore? The tats and piercing are so common now they are barely noticed.

Tats

Tell that to the nursing administrators. LOL I think these rules are archaic and not very useful. Professionalism is in the mind of the beholder.

Tats

I work two jobs, one at a government agency the other as the night supervisor in a Nursing home. Tats and piercing are everywhere. I do not have any ink but many coworkers (male and female) do. Facial piercing is very popular and enjoyed by many. With staffing as tight as it is management isn’t about to let a little thing like ink get in the way of hiring a qualified nurse.

I am a junior year nursing student who has tattoos (big ones) on both of my arms. Today I was told that someone at the hospital I am doing my clinical at said something about them. I love my tattoos and feel ashamed that I am supposed to cover them up. My professor told me that hospitals are getting more strict about this. Is that true? If it is I think that is crazy--keep even more people out of nursing while there is a shortage?! Ridiculous. I came home and cried about it but then I found this thread and I feel a bit better. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me?

Thank you,

Margaret

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast