Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Nursing shortage"? Fact or fiction?

"Nursing shortage"? Fact or fiction?

Hi, everyone! Eden again!

For those who do not know... I'm a college student with the intent of going into an LPN program once all pre-requisites are completed.

And..
    I do have another question:

Everyone talks about there being a nursing shortage, and then I hear from other sources that it's a "myth" and there's actually an overabundance of them! This isn't true, is it? One of the biggest things that draws me to wanting to be a nurse, aside from wanting to make a difference, is the job security. Nurses are definitely always in demand, correct? Is it just in some settings/areas of medicine that there is an overabundance and then some settings/areas there is a shortage? Please elaborate. Or is the "myth" simply not true at all? Thanks so much!!!!

XOXO,
    Eden

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    There 'is' a shortage, trust me! There are nurses out there who can't get a job d/t older nurses staying in the work force (economy, etc).

Some places may be looking for nurses, but many may not be able to move/want to relocate.

I know I have posts out there about the situation.....

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    While there is a definite shortage of qualified nurses that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of unemployed nurses out there. Under the Affordable Care act hospitals that want to keep their funding options at maximum are being told that they should only consider hiring RN who have Bachelor's or higher level degrees. That means that there are a lot of us who fall between the cracks where education is concerned. I have been fortunate enough to be continuously employed as nurse for the past 10 years but a recent search of open positions showed me that there really isn't that much out there for a 10 year veteran with no advanced degree.

Hppy, with all due respect....there are some nurses who have gotten so fed up with nursing in general (for various reasons) that they have kinda said Phooey to the profession.

I sure as heck have gotten to that point on occasion.

OK, cougar, I'll be sure to browse about some other posts...

And I understand. I'm also sure that many nurses gravitate to certain areas of medicine, which leaves other areas short. Do you think that there are 'easier' settings/areas for a new LPN to get a job as opposed to other settings/areas? I would even be interested in working as a correctional facility nurse. That's what my aunt did her whole life! I'm interested in Criminal Justice as well as nursing, so I think correctional facility nursing and/or forensic nursing would be great areas for me (though a forensic nurse would need an RN degree/license first).

The only thing with being a CF nurse, I would be a lot more nervous about getting hurt (i.e. stuck with a needle by a prisoner or something)!

My community college also does offer an associate's in RN. I wouldn't need to pay anything because I get full financial aid. It would just take me a REALLY long time to get it because I would have so many pre-requisites to do first, plus, a lot more math. And it's tough for me not to FAIL math. For LPN, the pre-requisites aren't as strict, but I STILL have to get through the math course I'm taking now, plus another one after it! There are NOT too many decent careers out there though that DON'T involve math.

Are there still good jobs out there for those with an Associate's in Nursing? Because that's exactly where I'd be anyway if I were to ever do an LPN to RN bridge program.

Thanks again, ladies! You two are great.

Cougar,

I actually agree and if I had a viable exit plan I would leave nursing today and never look back - I am so disgusted with what the system of healthcare delivery has become - the profession chews up and spits out compassionate caring nurses and those positions are being filled more and more with an influx of immigrant nurses whose English is so bad they can't even communicate, and the lack of compassion is astounding _ one of my consumers is in the hospital and when I mentioned to the nurse what his training objectives and skill development goals were she just gave me a blank look - I came in yesterday to see him and found him in bed in a diaper and explained for the 10th time that he is fully ambulatory and continent and she looked at me and said "But he's retarded." So I explained the we don't use the word "retarded" anymore and that being intellectually disabled doesn't make you stupid.

Where do they get these people.

Hppy

E. E., I seem to remember that several of my BSN classmates wanted Ped's, as 'Awww, babies are sooooo cute', etc. I stayed in Geriatrics/Rehab, as we are all gonna get old (or, the majority of us are).

I also do Home Health, and if you were out my way with an RN (ADN or BSN), you'd probably get in with my agency. Yet, also remember that things depend on what cases are open/needing filled, etc.

As for new LPN's? It would depend. Out this way, LPN's are utilized in LTC.

Hppy, remember you, me, and countless others got into this profession to make a difference! Even though I bitch, moan and complain at times, I think I am going to keep on beiing a nurse. Figure other oppurtunities will jump out at me somehow. Also, why not fight right back?

LOL cougar, you're so feisty!! LOVE IT!

Thanks a heap, as always, ladies. You two have been wonderful!! I think I still have a lot of thinking to do though, when it comes to my limitations and all. I need to go speak to a career counselor at my school. Either way, I'm not going to be settled down until I'm well into my 30's most likely. Ughh

Hppy, that's appalling how that "nurse" speaks about her patients!! "He's retarded"? How insensitive and ignorant!!!! That's not the way a nurse should be talking about a patient!! I concur, where do they get these people? And if they can't speak English, they shouldn't be nurses either.

Morning! I am here for a limited time. More running around/chasing myself.

Thanks, E.E.! I tend to think of myself as cranky.

Hppy, I forgot to add in my last post that I can tell you where those other nurses were found. Now, I believe what you say about some of them having poor command of the English language. However, i believe that NCLEX requires understanding of English....otherwise, how the heck could anyone take the test? And what about TOEFL?

Well they take the NCLEX in their home country and home language - There was also a big scandal a few years ago where soothing like 3000 licenses got yanked because it was discovered that the company that recruited them to come work in the US gave them the answers to the NCLEX

hppy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast