Thread: Should I take the offer?

Should I take the offer?

Hello,

I am a new grad LPN and have had my license for about 2 months now. I have a long term career goal of working in health care administration. In searching for employment I have targeted physician offices as I need the Mon-Fri 9-5 type schedule to work around my schooling. I am currently going the "Business route" with classes because my hope was to work as an LPN for however many years while continuing education towards health care administration to meet my future goal. To make a long story short, I was offered a job as an OB/GYN office LPN and had to decline because they only offered me a measly $12.50/hr. I couldn't accept it because I couldn't live on that salary. Recently I was called for an interview for a receptionist position in an office. I went on the interview because I figured, if nothing else, more interview experience is always helpful. Well I actually received the offer for the position, and to my surprise the salary was way better than I thought for a receptionist. It was actually what I thought I would make starting out as a new LPN in an office setting. The office, however, is a DENTAL office. Not a doctors office. Yes, I also applied to dental facilities in hopes that they had opportunities on the nursing side of things..

So my question is, do I take this position with hopes that it can give me experience towards health care administration? I fear that if I accept this position, and work there a year and decide that I really want to be working as a nurse, my chances of finding LPN work will be slim since I will be out of nursing so long after graduation. I am SO on the fence about it. I feel like this could open many doors for me in terms of experience on the business side of things, but I also feel as though I just went to school to be a NURSE, and I would be throwing away years of hard work in order to obtain my license. Also, I never wanted to be a receptionist, never thought about being one. But I also know, I need to work my way UP and have to start somewhere and this may be a good place to start.

Any advice?

Thanks,

"Confused" NewGradLPN..

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Why not ask if you'd be able to help the dentist? Not sure what state you are in, but I know several nurses who work as the receptionist and help the MD/Dentist. Can't hurt to ask, eh?

'Cat'

what is the job market like where you live? Sounds to me, that ob/gyn would give you more nursing experience despite lower pay.. but, dental office will pay more but not really help in your goals.. + you don;t want to be a receptionist- so I would vote not to take dental job and keep looking.

Thanks for the advice. My heart is telling me to keep searching and find an offer that feels right in my heart. For some reason, everything about the offer (the benefits, pay, hours, etc) all feels right EXCEPT for the "being a receptionist" part. I would hate to accept the position for everything it has to offer and be resentful going to work everyday because it's not where I wanted to be with my career. I don't think that would be fair to myself OR to the dental practice. I would have LOVED to have been offered something along the lines of dental assisting or something more patient care oriented. I am going to call her Monday and be very truthful and see what comes of it. I don't think they are in need a an assistant type role, but it can't hurt to ask. I just don't want to look back on this and think, Man, what was I thinking by not taking that job? Thanks for all of your advice and listening to me vent.. Sometimes it helps just to get it out. I have been so confused and miserable lately.

A foot in the door is a foot in the door.

gain more experience first. IMO

This IS the opportunity to gain experience. Branching out and specializing happens next.