I work on an ortho/gastro med surge floor and have been doing this for a year now since graduating. I can deal with the job but find it very hard to suffer through a manager who is constantly covering for a male nurse who is consistently making errors, not giving thorough report, and does not follow through on physician orders this includes NOW/STAT orders. Many times he has not given medication or documented important information regarding patient care. He is a day shift nurse at the present and the night shift crew are suffering because of him. We dread getting report from him and know that we will have to comb through the chart and MAR before starting our shift which puts us behind on our shift. He has been a nurse for about 7 months and should not be consistently making the same errors over and over. Most all of us have brought this issue to the manager and she just keeps covering for him. Several of my colleagues have left the night shift for other jobs and this is crazy over one person. This nurse has even been written up by a doctor 2 times and others a total of 5 times. The write ups were swept under the rug. He constantly tells people that that the manager has got his back. Nothing is getting through to the manager. We feel like we are putting our license on the line every time we have to follow him. I am currently looking for another position too although I feel one more year would benefit me in my knowledge of becoming a more adept nurse and would give me more to offer when I do seek another position.
I would really appreciate any feedback regarding this matter.

Keeping the faith because our patients need us