Thread: seeking advice..

seeking advice..

I'm a recovering alcoholic. I relapsed after 8 years of sobriety. Three months after taking that drink I'm facing my third DUI. Two prior convictions were before I became a RN.. plan to hire a lawyer before self reporting. has anyone ever had any experience with this? Thanks..

Good luck.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

You may be in for a rough ride.

Quote Originally Posted by startingover View Post
    I'm a recovering alcoholic. I relapsed after 8 years of sobriety. Three months after taking that drink I'm facing my third DUI. Two prior convictions were before I became a RN.. plan to hire a lawyer before self reporting. has anyone ever had any experience with this? Thanks..
    I don't know what state you are in but be prepared for a rough ride. The BRN's are very tough on people who relapse because they see it as a failure to have learned from the consequences of your previous mistakes. They are not likely to look at you 8 years sobriety because not only did you relapse but you also drove which shows a lack of good judgement. I am not trying to beat you down I have been sober since 2004 and completed the diversion program in California in 2009.

While the BRN may say they care about your recovery they really don't. What they care about and what they are charged with is the protection of public safety. So if they see your behavior as dangerous to patients they will suspend or revoke your license and put you in Diversion or probation faster than you can say "little green apples."

The contracts that you sign with the board are legally binding because you enter into them of your own free will., but their are many aspect to these contracts that would not hold up in a court of law. However you will comply and jump through all the hoops like a good circus pony if you want to keep your liscense.

If you feel you need a lawyer to face the board and can afford one - by all means hire one. I personally would not waste the money as the Board will offer you a take or leave it deal - they will not negotiate terms with you. You would be better to have that lawyer look at you DUI and see if it can be bargained down to something like disorderly conduct or misdimeanor negligence - something that does not include the alcohol. The DMV will report you to the Board in any case so you are likely stuck with having to follow BRN rules to preserve your license.

What the borad is looking for is Humility and surrender. Stat going to AA meetings now 90 in 90 and get an informal card signed so that you can prove you are going. It will go a long way with the board if you go in with some AA time under your belt and a sponsor.

THat's the best advice I can give you right now. Hope it helps

Hppy