Thread: Help, I just entered the California Diversion program

Angry Help, I just entered the California Diversion program

After the long list of what i can not eat,use as perfume,cleaning supplies,sauces.....Hmmm...Going out of my mind. I figured this would be a long road of recovery as I have not been able to get clean since i left the program 10 years ago..I thought this would make me accountable to someone. Now I feel I have entered the gates of hell or some Nazi organization. No chicken marsala,no soy sauce, change of mouthwash!!! Really??? I realize I need someone to be in control of my life as I have not been doing a good job at it. I realize this is my fault,my decision's, my life but ETG testing that is not even considered an adequate measurement of drinking, not supposed to be used for punitive punishment. I have lost what is left of my mind, as I will stay clean but that does not mean the ETG test will agree with me.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    It's not as hard as you think! In the 5 years I was in the program I only tested positive 3 times and it always came back to something I ate. I have posted a sticky with the culprits that seem to make you test positive more often. It's true you"ll have to give up Alcohol in recipe's as just enough remains to cause a positive test. What Dec are you in Who is you representative - I don"t come here as often as I used to but I when they decide to let you work leave me a message here I know a very Diversion Friendly employer I worked there the four years and am on very good terms with the hopsital management. I was one of their first diversion hirse and did so well they took chances on several nurses I referred.

Post here if you need support this is a good group of nurses

Hppy

Thanks Happy...I relocated or did a geographic 18 months ago from So Cal. I worked at the sister facility in Pasadena for a year in Psych while I was drinking...Well not sure what im gonna do but I live near Sacramento now

I would like to know about the employer.. Pls..

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    How long have you been in Diversion? The DEC is not likely to let you go back to work until you are sober for a minimum of 9 months to a year. I know it was my third DEC when they gave me permission to look for a job. Knowing I would not have Narcotic access made it difficult for me to get a job in any hospital I applied at. But I was attending after care at the psych hospital when I did my treatment and was a peer support volunteer there for patient's on the detox unit. One day the DON asked me if I wanted a job. I explained my problem with regard to meds and she said she thought they could work around that as they had psych techs and LVNS to pass the meds. I called my Case manager in Sacremento and told her I had been offered a job. She took my request to the dec and 24 hours later I was working. It seemed the DON and my case worker were old friends. I worked there for 5 years. Once I finished Diversion I explored other areas of nursing and found the job I have today.
    I hope to stay with this company until I retire but Health Care reform is really effecting our budget and it's all very uncertain right now.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy