Thread: Co workers with eating disorders

Co workers with eating disorders

I am a new grad and making the transition from student to nurse! It has been a bumpy ride, and I am sure y'all know all about it! I have been tackling the stress that comes along with job. I have realized it doesn't take much to make you feel like you have control over NOTHING. I have noticed that many co-workers respond to this loss of control in different ways. A common way is controlling their diets/ or feeding themselves excessively. I know I am new nurse, but I am starting to notice a trend. I would say its almost competitive at my job amongst the female nurses. A lot of nurses in my unit only eat one meal a day so they can maintain their weight. Are eating disorders a common thing for nurses? I feel like I am getting sucked in by the other nurses in my unit ....

Eating disorders may not generally affect all nurses, but lots of nurses are actually gaining weight once they’ve started working in the hospitals maybe it’s their way of coping with stress. But all matters are still in your hand anyway, and since you’ve already noticed what the problem is, then you can already find ways not how to avoid gaining or losing too much weight! Be a role model to your co workers by staying in shape despite the stress.

While somehow connected, weight control has to be viewed in a light separate from work. Stress is indeed a component of eating disorders as is frustration, family disturbances, sleep depravation and others but regardless, it is possible to maintain ideal weight. I know because I do it.

You're right ricu, however one really need to exert extra effort right? Because as you've mentioned stress in a component of eating disorders!there is really a great tendency for one to either eat a lot or not to eat at all if they are under stress..

Agreed. Emotional state is central to daily living. How we eat, how we exercise, how we interact and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by pronurse45 View Post
    You're right ricu, however one really need to exert extra effort right? Because as you've mentioned stress in a component of eating disorders!there is really a great tendency for one to either eat a lot or not to eat at all if they are under stress..

you're completely right...look for other stress relievers other than food too.. a massage or a hangout with friends will really help reduce your stress from work!There are always a lot of ways to cope with stress

I have read an article about this, most nurses eat a lot thinking that they will be able to regain their energy by eating more. this leads to more over-weighed nurses in the US. not only eating but drinking of sugary drinks contributes to the number of over-weighed nurses