Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Nursing shortage over'

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Quote Originally Posted by ianursestudent15 View Post
    This will discourage a lot of new students to enroll into nursing courses, since there will be no room for employment anymore…
    I sometimes wonder.........

Isn't ironic that there seems to be a nursing shortage nationally however, there are few nursing jobs out there. Furthermore, there are waiting lists for nursing schools nationally so, what does this say about the number of graduates seeking nursing jobs? I think there are a lot of qualified nurses out there looking for jobs but institutions are holding tightly onto their pursestrings. Patients are dealing with understaffing and suboptimal care because those institutions are holding tightly onto their profit margins- yes, non-profit institutions are counting beans...

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Well with federal reimbursements being cut by as much as 25% under healthcare reform hospitals no longer have the funds to hire and train new grads - Nursing Salaries are prjected to drop significantly as well.

You are right, almost. I believe that the nursing 'job' shortage is brief because there will be an exodus of retirees from current nursing jobs and new jobs will be added. Simply put, fairly soon,
    there will be too many patients and not enough care providers. We are on the verge of that now but the bean counters are in denial.
    Quote Originally Posted by ianursestudent15 View Post
    This will discourage a lot of new students to enroll into nursing courses, since there will be no room for employment anymore…

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Ricu and hppy, the 'standard' retirement age was 65. Note I said 'was', as it has been bumped up lately. My father in law worked till he was 70, when he 'had' to retire.

I think many older nurses will hang on until they die, or are forced out. Why? There are no retirement plans anymore, only the dang 401k's, etc. (and we know the stock market and interest rates have been hitting the skids lately).

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by amygarside View Post
    What we need are quality nurse educators that can help future students of nursing.
    And who is going to pay them???????
    The students can ill afford to pay more, especialy if they will not be able to find work after they do.
    it is almost cost prohibitive to go to nursing school any more.
    To add insult to injury, the local hospital has "ASKED" it's employees to accept a 40% pay cut accross the board.
    Yes I did say 40, fourty per/cent cut in wages. As in a cut from $16 per hour as a starting wage to just $9.60 per hour.
    Could anyone pay off student loans AND feed their family on $9.60 an hour?

i believe this is somehow true. many nurses are no longer thinking about retirement this means lesser slots will be available for new nurses. the number of new nurses are way higher than the number of jobs available at present. Most hospitals and other health facilities are hiring BSN grads exclusively. there are also hospitals that are laying off nurses to cut the cost of operation.. Im not sure if the Obamacare program can help this issue though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12