Thread: Am I craxy for doing this?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Am I craxy for doing this?

Hello to everyone who is out there, I know there are more moms like me which is why I decided to join this forum. I am 26 years old, a wife and a mother to a 2 year old daughter. I am in school part-time and work part-time. I work at a hospital with medicare patients so I get to meet with a lot of patients bed-side which is nice. I also watch my niece with my own daughter 4 days a week for a little extra income. I volunteer 12 hours a week as a domestic violence advocate at the hospital. I take overnight shifts to just fit it in. I am just about a junior in undergrad as a Biology major. I only take two classes a semester, does that look bad to medical schools? Should I be taking more? I feel so alone in this process. Most of my husbands family don't even know what I am doing because they are kind of negative about it and I have a hard enough time convincing myself I can do this so I don't really talk about it. My husband is behind me, I think. I think the whole thing really scares him. The unknown of it all, the gamble.
    Deep down I know this is what I want to do. When you are standing in an open heart surgery and you don't even want to take a break because you don't want to miss a thing,you stand there studying every nook and crany of that open chest just to learn more. You see a code and all you want to do is jump in a do the compressions your self. These are the things that remind me I want to be a doctor. When you meet with a patient and they don't understand what is going on, and the physician comes in and allows them the first deep breath in hours knowing their family member will be OK. Its times like that that you know.
    What I want to know is why it is looked at so negatively. I am shocked every time I have said what I am doing at the response I get. Has anyone else had this issue? I just want to be a doctor, why is that a bad thing? When they ask my why, I can't really put it into words, when you know, you just know. Right? It is a feeling so deep within my heart and soul, unless you are on the same path, you really can't understand. Someone tell me I am not crazy for doing this.
    Last edited by hv; 03-02-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: remove broken image link