Thread: What does it take to be an ER Nurse?

Smile What does it take to be an ER Nurse?

Hello everyone! I am a student nurse and I am very interested in ER, Intensive Care, and Critical Care Nursing.. I am not sure of the differences between the 3 and I was hoping you could help me decifer them. I am a very active person and like to be moving at all times.. Also, is it an area in the hospital where the "new" nurses need to work on the med-surg floor and work their way up to those three types of nursing? If anyone can help clear this up better I would appreciate it greatly! Thank you!

Some hospitals will hire new grads to a specialty area like Er, icu etc.
    Differences in the critical areas are ER fast paced, ICU usually you get 2 patients, very busy but not as fast paced as ED.
    Does your school have clinicals in ED or ICU? THat way , you can get a better idea.

When I was at a private nursing school for a year they actually had us on rotation checking out ICU, but it was only for a day...I transfered to a different school to get my bachelors..I havn't been in clinicals there yet, but I think they do. I think I would definitly like the fast pace of the ER. Thank you!